4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Vibration - something other than tires/wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:18 PM

Vibration - something other than tires/wheels?

Looking for some general info on those that know these cars better than me :-)

Test drove a '98 auto with < 100K miles. Ran nice, but there was some light vibration while moving. My first thought is wheels/tires, but it didn't come and go at various speeds, it was just kind of there. I know a tire & wheel change to balance would be the first thing to check, but it's not my car and I can't do that before buying. So, I need to make an intelligent guess.

Is this at all typical on these ? Are there any parts that tend to wear that would cause vibration? axles maybe? Something else? Anything I can check without having it on a lift and all to my own?

Thanks,
Old 01-29-2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by BobMax
Looking for some general info on those that know these cars better than me :-)

Test drove a '98 auto with < 100K miles. Ran nice, but there was some light vibration while moving. My first thought is wheels/tires, but it didn't come and go at various speeds, it was just kind of there. I know a tire & wheel change to balance would be the first thing to check, but it's not my car and I can't do that before buying. So, I need to make an intelligent guess.

Is this at all typical on these ? Are there any parts that tend to wear that would cause vibration? axles maybe? Something else? Anything I can check without having it on a lift and all to my own?

Thanks,
wheel bearing... but your description isnt very detailed. also these questions your asking can be answered with a little searching, as always...
Old 01-30-2013, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
wheel bearing... but your description isnt very detailed. also these questions your asking can be answered with a little searching, as always...
Thanks... unfortunately I don't have a lot of details since I haven't been able to get the car on a jack.

Are wheel bearings much trouble on these? Do you need to pull the strut? Press needed?

Thanks,
Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 PM

yeah the bearings are pressed in. its may be a chalange on the ground with hand tools.

i would run the car in drive on a rack and look at both axles. there should be no movement
Old 01-30-2013, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
yeah the bearings are pressed in. its may be a chalange on the ground with hand tools.

i would run the car in drive on a rack and look at both axles. there should be no movement
As in zero play end to end on the axle, or zero play left and right and up and down going into the CV & tranny? Or both?

If there is play... does it just get worse and worse until you fix it, or does the axle snap one day 'cause you did something foolish like waiting for warmer weather to do it :-)
Old 01-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Need more info.
Does the vibration happen at a specific speed or all the time?
Is it rhythmic or random? Can you duplicate it and if so how?
Does it happen when your accelerating or braking?
Does it happen in neutral, revving the engine?
Is the idle smooth, is the check engine light on, DOES IT WORK? (Light when the key is turned to the on position)
Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Need more info.
Does the vibration happen at a specific speed or all the time?
Is it rhythmic or random? Can you duplicate it and if so how?
Does it happen when your accelerating or braking?
Does it happen in neutral, revving the engine?
Is the idle smooth, is the check engine light on, DOES IT WORK? (Light when the key is turned to the on position)
-Seems to be at all speeds
-consistent, like driving on slightly rough pavement (halfway to the feeling you get when they just ground the road for resurfacing - but only halfway there).
-when moving, did not appear to be braking related ( no real change when brakes applied, no apparent braking issued like warped rotors)
- does not seem to be there at idle or revved ... seems to be motion related
- no CEL, checked codes with reader, none pending, all monitors ready

Thanks,
Old 02-01-2013, 05:47 PM

Wheels/tires/suspension isn't really my area of expertise, but if I were to guess; cv axle, wheel bearing like previously stated, and/or lower control arm(lca)/ball joint. You CAN buy new lca's with ball joints already pressed in. If you get them make sure to get an alignment afterwards. Might as well get your wheels balanced too.

Last edited by Climaxx; 02-02-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:33 PM

my passenger side cv axle made mine vibrate the half way shaft like bearing deal that has three bolts to hold it in place the bearings in mine caused mine after i spent money on some wheel bearings lol needed them anyways
Old 02-06-2013, 09:11 PM

Thanks... I'm closing the deal on it this week. I'll swap the wheels/tires, see where that gets me, do some inspection and test runs, and come back with questions.