4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Battery replacement in 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 11:49 PM

Battery replacement in 4th gen

I owned my Infiniti I30 (1998 model) for the past 8 years and never replaced the battery, not sure if it was replaced before I bought it used either. So, 4 days ago the battery was very weak when I tried to start it, lights were all dim, and the car wouldn't turn on over. Today none of the lights came up at all. Wondering if it's time to replace the battery.

If I were to replace, how easy is it to replace it ? I looked thru FAQs here but didn't find a thread on it. Please point me the thread if you know of it, or the instructions to replace the battery.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...n-how-tos.html

Thinking of getting the interstate battery .. i see the same brand one in the car now.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:48 AM

Replacing a battery is pretty easy. What you want to do in preparation for the new battery is clean any corrosion off of the battery cables. Use a solution of baking soda and water, heavy on the baking soda. You may want to use an old tooth brush to scrub.

To remove the old battery, first remove the battery cables. Start with the positive cable first. You loosen the nuts on the cable clamp, 10 mm, and pull the battery cable off using a twisting or wiggling motion. Then remove the hold down from the battery, 12 mm nuts I think. Lift out the old battery. and clean any junk, debris and corrosion from the tray the battery sits in. Then put in the new battery, reverse proceedure.

If you have a lot of corrosion on the cables, you should probably put some battery terminal grease on them which will slow down future corrosion. As for the brand of battery, the Interstate brand is good. Costco batteries have been given good ratings by Consumer Reports magazine. The auto parts store batteries are good, The are usually made by Excide or Interstate. Walmart batteries have been getting pretty good reviews, too. Lots of choices. People will say that you should get Excide red top or yellow top batteries, but they are expensive and if you haven't added a lot of things like a stereo, they are over kill for a stock car. Also there have been a lot of comments here on maxima.org that the quality of the red and yellow tops seem to br going downhill.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:11 AM

Nothing could be easier. This isn't like a European car where it's physically difficult to get it out of the trunk and you have delicate electronics and IBS sensors attached, and the battery needs to be registered to the DME.

This is straightforward remove one nut, remove the + and - from the battery posts, and swap.

My experience, however, is that many batteries are junk today, regardless of the specs. I went through two top-of-the line batteries in 6 years. When I was done with that, I got the cheapest die hard. You guessed it--about 42 mos. in, it was acting up.

The thing about sears is they totally honored the pro-rata, AND, the guy even finagled the numbers so that I paid $53 to get a brand-new top-of-the-line Die Hard, same price as if I were to get the cheaper one. Not only that, I took my original Nissan battery and returned that for a $15 core! LOL

What I'm saying is I totally recommend Sears--they'll stand by the battery 3-4 yrs. from now when you need a new one.

p.s. do not make the mistake of going to a group 35 from group 24 like I did 1st time around.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:39 PM

8 years? holy crap! average battery life here in phoenix is about 2 years.

I might add that when installing the battery, put the positive cable on first, then the negative. if you put the negative on first, and then when the positive comes in contact, the alarm will go off. or atleast on my car it does.