4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Turbo, N2O or 3.5 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:26 PM

Turbo, N2O or 3.5 swap

Hey guys. I'd like to add something to my car to make it faster but I still want it to be a daily because I only have one car. Basically, I want more power but nothing over board and about to blow up after getting on it twice. Ive thought about turboing or doing the 3.5 swap but a friend told me about nitrous and just having a 50-100 shot and it will be safe and it will give me the power I want. Soooo.... 1.) doing the swap and headers and exhaust would put me from 190hp to around 275hp depending on what headers I get and how well my exhaust is and I can daily it(in my definition) 2.) doing the turbo I would have to basically rebuild my engine because I have 250k miles on it and it was not treated well before I got it. And with the turbo, Ive seen that guys are getting around 400hp and thats reaching my limit of power that I want. And 3.) Ive been told how to do nitrous and how to make it safe. With all of this said, either way I have 250k on my engine and tranny and will probably have to rebuild or strengthen them to do any of the three. Which do you guys think would be the best choice?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:32 PM

3.5 swap for daily imho
Old 11-13-2012, 06:44 PM

Ok. With all these miles, will I have to do anything with my tranny? I know I will have to get a new clutch. And the 6spd is more money and crazy wiring :/
Old 11-13-2012, 06:58 PM

If you are doing a 3.5 swap, which I would vote for as well, you can get it in tip top shape before it goes in and be set for a good while. N20 is nice for a drag car but not much use in a DD and a boost is a LOT of work upfront and almost all of the time as the weak link keeps moving and breaking down the line
Old 11-13-2012, 07:11 PM

Ok sweet. Sounds like 3.5 swap is wining!!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:26 PM

3.5 swap FTW.

BUT you can also do other mods to your 3.0 like an 00vi, ypipe/headers and exhaust AND a tune would definitely give you more power than you would think.

Personally I would do a 3.5 swap once the 3.0 can't kick anymore and many vq30 engines have been known to kick well beyond 250k...

BTW welcome and use the search function to find all the info you could ever want on your car....
Old 11-13-2012, 09:43 PM

3.5 for DD
N2O for Track Use
Turbo if you want serious Power and have money to spend
Old 11-13-2012, 10:13 PM

Another thing that would set your build off are these :

Name:  581599_353056604785796_1434580034_n.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  60.2 KB

Freshly retro'd but never ran em. Morimoto Matchbox Bixenon with a mini gatling shroud.
PM me if interested.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:57 AM

Since u say ur vq30 has no future heres to routes
3.5 swap but u still wont get to 400hp without boost
or
fully built ur vq30 with eagle rods and forged pistons even more reliable to take higher boost than a stock vq35
the prices arent to far apart but u still would need boost for both applications to past 400hp mark u decide.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:17 AM

3.5 swap brother.. you can also go supercharged if you want
Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by deloa84
3.5 swap FTW.

BUT you can also do other mods to your 3.0 like an 00vi, ypipe/headers and exhaust AND a tune would definitely give you more power than you would think.

Personally I would do a 3.5 swap once the 3.0 can't kick anymore and many vq30 engines have been known to kick well beyond 250k...

BTW welcome and use the search function to find all the info you could ever want on your car....
currently 300k and still kickin! no 3.5 swap in my near future lol
Old 11-14-2012, 09:38 AM

3.5 swap.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Turbo 3.5

3.5swap
Old 11-14-2012, 03:12 PM

3.5 swap
Old 11-14-2012, 03:18 PM

3.5 like everybody else has said already.....
Old 11-14-2012, 03:34 PM

Not sure if anyone is giving you advice on here. A swap is a better option if you just want a daily driven car. With these motors man you might as well do the tensioners and guide while the motor is out, the water pump will be a wise thing to do too. Don't just factor in doing a swap for power and think it's gonna be done there. Dunno if you got a manual or auto but if it's a manual a brand new OE clutch would be ideal if you intend to keep the car for a while and easy on you in traffic. You said you're looking for a little power so you could add the CAI, BOP, NWP spacers and a light weight crank pulley and that will show a very great noticeable power, torque and top end gains and if you really want more you can do the headers and catback.

I would never suggest doing nitros unless you plan to race, safe shot? No such thing. It will eventually take a toll on your motor reducing the life of it everytime you spray. Turbo on a everyday car is just headache because no turbo installer can install a turbo and have it running problem and stress free. And if you do the turbo you'll have to get a tuning system and install which is another chunk of change. The thing with turbo is that you'll never be satisfied and you'll want to push it to the limits and that's why they break. A turbo installed right cutting no corners will run you anywhere in the 8-12K

For daily use do the swap, add your bolt on's and enjoy it man because with the 3.5 engine swap your car will haul a$$ seeing that it pushes out more power with a light shell.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by deloa84
3.5 swap FTW.

Alright cool. Yea ill just spend my time and build the 3.5 correctly and with small mods here and there to give it a little more kick until my 3.0 stops working. Thanks for the advice
Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 PM

Those look awesome dude! Do you have any pics of what they look like on and in the car??
Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA
Another thing that would set your build off are these :

Freshly retro'd but never ran em. Morimoto Matchbox Bixenon with a mini gatling shroud.
PM me if interested.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:44 PM

Oh I know I wont get 400hp with 3.5 all motor. I just meant that from the 3 options, around 400hp would be the most hp Id be comfortable with. Thanks though
Originally Posted by Max streets
Since u say ur vq30 has no future heres to routes
3.5 swap but u still wont get to 400hp without boost
or
fully built ur vq30 with eagle rods and forged pistons even more reliable to take higher boost than a stock vq35
the prices arent to far apart but u still would need boost for both applications to past 400hp mark u decide.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 PM

Nice bro! yea Im working my way there. I just passed 246k a few days back
Originally Posted by CallMeThatOneGuy
currently 300k and still kickin! no 3.5 swap in my near future lol
Old 11-14-2012, 07:00 PM

For starters, thanks for all the great help. I have a 5spd and I planned on using the OE 3.5 clutch. I know CAI, but I dont know what BOP and NWP stand for. Yea nitrous wasn't really a choice for me because it sounds too dangerous.
Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
Not sure if anyone is giving you advice on here. A swap is a better option if you just want a daily driven car. With these motors man you might as well do the tensioners and guide while the motor is out, the water pump will be a wise thing to do too. Don't just factor in doing a swap for power and think it's gonna be done there. Dunno if you got a manual or auto but if it's a manual a brand new OE clutch would be ideal if you intend to keep the car for a while and easy on you in traffic. You said you're looking for a little power so you could add the CAI, BOP, NWP spacers and a light weight crank pulley and that will show a very great noticeable power, torque and top end gains and if you really want more you can do the headers and catback.

I would never suggest doing nitros unless you plan to race, safe shot? No such thing. It will eventually take a toll on your motor reducing the life of it everytime you spray. Turbo on a everyday car is just headache because no turbo installer can install a turbo and have it running problem and stress free. And if you do the turbo you'll have to get a tuning system and install which is another chunk of change. The thing with turbo is that you'll never be satisfied and you'll want to push it to the limits and that's why they break. A turbo installed right cutting no corners will run you anywhere in the 8-12K

For daily use do the swap, add your bolt on's and enjoy it man because with the 3.5 engine swap your car will haul a$$ seeing that it pushes out more power with a light shell.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:11 PM

all of the above!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by 96CefiroI30
For starters, thanks for all the great help. I have a 5spd and I planned on using the OE 3.5 clutch. I know CAI, but I dont know what BOP and NWP stand for. Yea nitrous wasn't really a choice for me because it sounds too dangerous.
Looks like you still have some more research to do.

The NWP Block Off Plate is a cheap and easy mod for the 3.5
Old 11-14-2012, 07:37 PM

NWP is a company not a mod lol. They make mods. The mods you want for your 3.5 from nwp are the Block off plate noted by mr schmellyfart, and the spacers. Go to their website and all will be made clear. Also, again, wisely noted by mr schmellyfart, is the lightweight underdrive pulley. There are a couple manufacturers out there.

Have fun with the 3.5
Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 PM

drop the 3.0 out and rebuild it with new pistons, rods, crank, cams, valves, springs, injectors etc, just rebuild it, and put it back in, do a full 100k tune up and you're good to go. Do a full overhaul, this will cost probably under 10k

if voting for a different option id go 3.5 (but you're looking at something that costs in the 20k range)
Old 11-14-2012, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by LazYRaCeR
drop the 3.0 out and rebuild it with new pistons, rods, crank, cams, valves, springs, injectors etc, just rebuild it, and put it back in, do a full 100k tune up and you're good to go. Do a full overhaul, this will cost probably under 10k

if voting for a different option id go 3.5 (but you're looking at something that costs in the 20k range)

20k for a 3.5 swap?

No way.

Where did you come up with 20k?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 PM

I feel like spraying a 3.5 swap is a very responsible and viable option for a daily driven car.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:36 PM

I was talking about a 2009+ swap, not like a 02-03 since what would be the point in putting in a motor with close to 100k on it? and those go for about 10k (09 and up), plus everything you need you'll spend like 20k. I Don't think it will be worth it to put in a 04-08 swap either. So unless you're doing a 09+ swap with the 290 hp I don't think it will be worth the trouble when you can just overhaul the motor thats already in it, and spend half the money. If you do go for a low mileage 04-08 swap and you can do it for under
10k then by all means it comes with 265hp if you can get one with all manifolds, belts, chains, compressors, and even just by reusing the 4th gen exhaust can cost you 10 hp or so. You'll need all new timing/water pumps, filters, sensors, ecu, dash (because hooking up 3.5 to the 4th gen steering nets you losses, even by not having the 7th gen suspension and proper mounts, and axles, shift linkage would cost you, so your best bet would be to overhaul the 3.0. If you MUST get a swap, you have to get one that comes with everything (basically buying wrecked 7th gen and pulling everything out of it is the best way) I've been doing research on the swap but only it would be into my 5th gen, and it looks like you'd have to buy a wrecked 7th gen and swap everything over. Radiator, ac, heater, and every little part that doesn't come with a swap you get offline you have to get a new part, or reuse a part off of the 4th gen which might work, but you'd be losing power not do it right which was why I said just overhaul the 3.0 because everything already fits and it would cost half the money and nerves..
Old 11-14-2012, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
I feel like spraying a 3.5 swap is a very responsible and viable option for a daily driven car.
I like your thinking...

I was talking about a 2009+ swap, not like a 02-03 since what would be the point in putting in a motor with close to 100k on it? and those go for about 10k (09 and up), plus everything you need you'll spend like 20k. I Don't think it will be worth it to put in a 04-08 swap either. So unless you're doing a 09+ swap with the 290 hp I don't think it will be worth the trouble when you can just overhaul the motor thats already in it, and spend half the money. If you do go for a low mileage 04-08 swap and you can do it for under
10k then by all means it comes with 265hp if you can get one with all manifolds, belts, chains, compressors, and even just by reusing the 4th gen exhaust can cost you 10 hp or so. You'll need all new timing/water pumps, filters, sensors, ecu, dash (because hooking up 3.5 to the 4th gen steering nets you losses, even by not having the 7th gen suspension and proper mounts, and axles, shift linkage would cost you, so your best bet would be to overhaul the 3.0. If you MUST get a swap, you have to get one that comes with everything (basically buying wrecked 7th gen and pulling everything out of it is the best way) I've been doing research on the swap but only it would be into my 5th gen, and it looks like you'd have to buy a wrecked 7th gen and swap everything over. Radiator, ac, heater, and every little part that doesn't come with a swap you get offline you have to get a new part, or reuse a part off of the 4th gen which might work, but you'd be losing power not do it right which was why I said just overhaul the 3.0 because everything already fits and it would cost half the money and nerves..
The only issue I see with rebuilding a 3.0 engine is cost. Yeah it may cost less but if you just "drop in" a 3.5 from a FWD Nissan lets say an 04-05 motor, you get an engine that can easily make more NA power than a 3.0 with the right mods.

The only benefit I see from rebuilding a 3.0 is if you have plans on going forced induction and running high levels of boost.

Other than that it is really a bust for most considering the potential a 3.5 gives you over a 3.0 not to mention the after market in parts available for the 3.5. Its pricey but its there. It is nearly absent for the 3.0....

As far as swapping a motor from an 09+... I agree it sounds like the better option but boy its pricey but if money was not an issue I am sure someone would have done it already...
Old 11-14-2012, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by litch
NWP is a company not a mod lol. They make mods. The mods you want for your 3.5 from nwp are the Block off plate noted by mr schmellyfart, and the spacers. Go to their website and all will be made clear. Also, again, wisely noted by mr schmellyfart, is the lightweight underdrive pulley. There are a couple manufacturers out there.

Have fun with the 3.5
You must be thinking of mrjason, I didn't say anything about a pulley.
Its gonna take me too long to pick at this gem, but I will say an 09 3.5 swap in a 4th gen will not be cheap due to the vast ecu and engine differences. However the same swap in a 5.5gen..

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/6...vq35-info.html
Old 11-14-2012, 11:45 PM

Those look awesome dude! Do you have any pics of what they look like on and in the car??
Ill see what I can find. If youre interested in buying but I cant turn a pic up, youll have to wait a few days for me to slap em back on and snap a pic
Old 11-14-2012, 11:58 PM
Administrator

None of the above.

3.5...custom work
Turbo...custom work

Get Supercharged! Instant 100hp gratification, no customizing needed, and 50 state street legal (most years)
Old 11-15-2012, 05:50 AM

do the 3.5 swap correctly and make sure your heat and ac work and there you have it, a sleeper with all the luxury of a stock car
Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 AM

Lol My bad about that last comment. I was half asleep. Ive done research on NWP before and I just didnt remember the name last night. Ill make sure I check out their website and research more before I ask crazy simple questions
Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Looks like you still have some more research to do.

The NWP Block Off Plate is a cheap and easy mod for the 3.5
Old 11-15-2012, 08:17 AM

The only reason why I am going with the 3.5 is because I have one at home. My brother owns a 03 maxima 6spd and he went too far between oil changes by accident and things started knocking. He got a factory swap and he let me have the old engine for free. So I will be rebuilding the engine with everything that you have suggested and things I find in the all motor section that everyone has been telling me to search

Old 11-15-2012, 08:41 AM

Yea Im not sure about the 20k estimate either. Their is a shop near me that takes the engine apart for $75, I pay for all the parts I want to put in at wholesale price, then they put it back together for $275. So unless Im putting in huge pistons and rods and fuel injectors etc, then it shouldnt cost me too much more than $2000 to have it built the way I want it. Then Ill have to buy an ecu and wiring harness for the engine, new time cases, 3.5 clutch, 00-01 Pathfinder TB, and axles as far as I know. I will research the all motor section to see what else will be needed like motor mounts and things of the sort. It is adding up but Im sure it will be cheaper than 10k
Old 11-15-2012, 08:50 AM

Ok I can wait for a pic. Yea if we can agree on a good price, Ill be down to buy them. As you saw in an earlier post, my are kinda busted lol
Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA
Ill see what I can find. If youre interested in buying but I cant turn a pic up, youll have to wait a few days for me to slap em back on and snap a pic
Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 PM

Lol My bad about that last comment. I was half asleep. Ive done research on NWP before and I just didnt remember the name last night. Ill make sure I check out their website and research more before I ask crazy simple questions
The point I was making is that you can't use the stock 3.5 clutch with your 5 speed transmission.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:14 PM

Yea Im not sure about the 20k estimate either. Their is a shop near me that takes the engine apart for $75, I pay for all the parts I want to put in at wholesale price, then they put it back together for $275. So unless Im putting in huge pistons and rods and fuel injectors etc, then it shouldnt cost me too much more than $2000 to have it built the way I want it. Then Ill have to buy an ecu and wiring harness for the engine, new time cases, 3.5 clutch, 00-01 Pathfinder TB, and axles as far as I know. I will research the all motor section to see what else will be needed like motor mounts and things of the sort. It is adding up but Im sure it will be cheaper than 10k
remember, you get what you pay for. $75 to disassemble an engine? Sounds fishy
Old 11-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
remember, you get what you pay for. $75 to disassemble an engine? Sounds fishy
LOL. This will not end well.

Quick Reply: Turbo, N2O or 3.5 swap