4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

odd behavior from water temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 05:24 PM

odd behavior from water temp gauge

So otw home from dinner tonight I glanced down at my water temp gauge and notice it is at about 75% obviously higher than normal. However, almost as soon as I look down it goes back to normal. I first thought about the temperature sender for the gauge but then notice once I got home and parked my fans were staying on and the engine seemed hotter than normal. I also noticed a little bit of coolant leaking from the upper rad hose, likely because of cheap hose clamps not doing a good job. After this I thought that it could be the coolant temperature sensor that sends to the ECU. It is nearly impossible to tell if the engine is actually running hot so I am kind of stumped. The thermostat is fairly new and OEM so I doubt that is the issue and my radiator is aftermarket Mishimoto so I doubt is is operating inefficiently. My idle also was fairly high once I put it into park, it was not high in drive. Something is up but I just wanted to get some other opinions. I am going to go check the coolant level once I am done posting. Is the odd behavior from the gauge sender or am I actually running hot in which case I am stumped. According to the FSM you need to know the approximate temperature of the fluid to properly test and that would require taking the sensor off and I do not want to do that tonight. Tomorrow I can test tht properly. Thoughts?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

low coolant level, add antifreeze coolant and everything should be back to normal.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:46 PM

Well I just added coolant. It took about a quarter bottle, maybe more. The Mishimoto has a huge capacity so I dont think that little bit of coolant it was lacking was the issue and also why would it come up right when it starts to get cold? I think it has more to do with the high idle which is likely my EGR gasket. I dont know, its weird. I am going to order some of these http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...tm?Click=35177 for future reference to know the actual temperature
Old 11-09-2012, 01:19 PM

Those strips are interesting. Many OBD readers will display the engine coolant temperature as the ECTS reports it. The two used together should tell you if the ECTS is good.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:29 PM

Yea they are a good product, saw one on a track car and its a helluva lot easier than installing a gauge especially a coolant temperature gauge which is mucho deniro. I really do need to invest in a good reader but the turn screw on the ECU is free lol. Like I said, I can not tell ATM if the coolant is indeed hot but it seems odd to me even on the unreliable water temp gauge to drop from 75% down to normal. It is an intermittent problem and did not happen today. Both the gauge temp sender and the ECU coolant temperature sensor are not expensive ($20 and $35 from Courtesy respectively) so I might just replace them both.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had same problem. low coolant.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:38 PM

twas not low coolant. Bad water temp sensor