4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 10:17 AM

Suspension Questions?

Hey guys I am riding a 96 SE and my shocks are completely shot. Riding on pretty much just springs and I was going to replace my rotors/pads which then led to "oh well I'll just do it all at once." Im thinking of Tokico blues with some springs (megan, h-tech, tanabe) somewhere along those lines for a ~1.5 drop. I hear blues with s-tech is super rough. I would love full coilover or even illumina/agx but I am broke. I am going to replace the boots/bumpstops but I have a question that I cant seem to find a definite answer for. 1. Is it necessary to buy new front shock mounts as I have seen people do, and 2. Do I need to buy the seats/cushions that go on top and bottom of the spring? Any advice on the subject in general is much appreciated as this is the first time I have ever worked on suspension. Thanks in advance
Old 10-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You don't need to replace anything that isn't worn out. Therefore, remove the assembly from your car, tare it down and inspect. Replace what's necessary, rebuild and install.

I don't suggest the blues be coupled with anything other then H&R's, Progress or H-Tech's. S-Tech's are junk, leaving you with no suspension travel.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
You don't need to replace anything that isn't worn out. Therefore, remove the assembly from your car, tare it down and inspect. Replace what's necessary, rebuild and install.

I don't suggest the blues be coupled with anything other then H&R's, Progress or H-Tech's. S-Tech's are junk, leaving you with no suspension travel.
I have a question about Suspension as well. My car drives fine and suspension works great but my Strut boots are all broken. Could I dissemble the Suspension and replace the boots and be okay?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 AM

Pm
Old 10-23-2012, 11:00 AM

I'm on tokico blues with tokico springs. It's about 1.5" drop. Ride quality is amazing IMO. It's firm, but not rock hard or racecar status. Feels a tad bit firmer than my mothers 07 3 series BMW.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by JAmerican
I have a question about Suspension as well. My car drives fine and suspension works great but my Strut boots are all broken. Could I dissemble the Suspension and replace the boots and be okay?
The strut itself has a wiper bushing that keeps contaminants from destroying it. The boots help prolong the strut even more. How long do you plan on keeping the car?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by JAmerican
yes and do it soon but only the OEM boots are worth a damn
Old 10-23-2012, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
yes and do it soon but only the OEM boots are worth a damn
You're always looking out for me ShocknAwe! Thanks man.

BTW, my car has been lowered with different spring and possibly strut. Would the OEM boot still work even though it may be different? I would think it would just compress more right?

Last edited by JAmerican; 10-23-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Black Lion

I been running with Sprint spring for over 12 years and I need to replace my front struts.. running on KYB AGX now. I wanna keep the 2 inch drop I have now with Sprint springs. Any recommendations on struts with Sprint springs?
Old 11-25-2012, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
I been running with Sprint spring for over 12 years and I need to replace my front struts.. running on KYB AGX now. I wanna keep the 2 inch drop I have now with Sprint springs. Any recommendations on struts with Sprint springs?
I just wondering if the shock is long gone and you just ride on spring, how would you be able to pass the safety inspection? Here is PA, you will certainly fail the inspection like in my case that the rear shock is gone.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by theWalkinator
I just wondering if the shock is long gone and you just ride on spring, how would you be able to pass the safety inspection? Here is PA, you will certainly fail the inspection like in my case that the rear shock is gone.
My shocks passed inspection with no problem here in NJ. I need to replace my front struts because the top nut got badly stripped on my AGX while I was trying to remove it to replace the upper strut mount... so I want to replace both struts while im at it. I have noticed over the years using AGX, even with the dampeness on max setting for firmness, I still bottom out sometimes and scrape my fender which shreds my tire a bit each time.

I was looking for a good suggestion on new struts with my current Spring spring.