4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Drain locations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 01:16 PM

Drain locations?

Im trying to find the drain locations for the sunroof on my car. Every time it rains my driver side carpet gets soaked and I have narrowed down the possible causes and I am beginning to think it is that drain location. The one at the rear driver side near the evap box drains fine but I do not know where the others are. Help please as this is extremely annoying
Old 10-08-2012, 01:24 PM

Chris Gregg posted this once and it seems like a promising lead
"They are all pretty tucked away. But the front two are in the A-pillars and end near the side kick panels beneath the dash. I know the fronts are two peices. Once peice connects to the sunroof, then there is a "joint" where the estension tube connects and channels the water down into the rocker panel (front) or bottom rear quarter (rear)."

might just have to go to the local gas station and what shoot air up it? Doesnt sound like a greta idea to me
Old 10-08-2012, 01:24 PM

I believe there are 4 drain holes on each corner from the sunroof. Inspect them, they might be clogged.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:48 PM

found the hose that exits near the drivers side kick panel and i tugged on it a bit lol....came completely out.

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 10-08-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 PM

Well the front one was not clogged. Pulled the damn thing off the sun roof drain and had to take the headliner off in the front to get it back on and run it through the A-pillar again because it wasn't going to go back on in reverse. Im out of ideas here, I thought for sure that was what was clogged and soaking my carpet. Other side was clear as well. It might be the rear drains clogged and thats making water sit there and has worn the weather stripping around the bottom of the glass and it is seeping through there? I dont see how that would make it to my carpet though. I even sprayed some of that Flex-Seal on the floorboard thinking there might be a hole in it or something. Nope. Wet spot starts in the exact middle of the floorboard and just goes outward as more water comes from wherever the hell it comes from.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:12 PM

im having the same problem but in the rear passenger side. i dont understand mine either.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:22 PM

Yea the drain tube itself could never get clogged up for future readers so dont bother pulling it all the way out like I did. If you look down at the corners from the sunroof the drain hole is all of a mm wide. Nothing big enough to clog up the tube would make it through. The only thing that could get clogged is the drain hole itself. Im going to park on an incline, trunk facing down, and pour water in the 2 rear drain holes to see if they drain. Even if those are colgged though it would still make its way to the front drain holes, not sit forever. I really have no idea. I think it is the weather stripping itself and IF the rear drain holes are clogged the water might have enough time to sit and seap out of worn/wethered weather stripping. I noticed some water damage on the front corner of the headliner so its possible. Easy to look at. Remove the visor and simply pull it back a bit, its velcro attached on the front portion, and take a peek in there. YOu can see where the hose attaches. I thought maybe it had come off but that would be difficult to accomplish even if you off-road the damn thing
Old 10-08-2012, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ibracey
im having the same problem but in the rear passenger side. i dont understand mine either.
If you are having trouble with the drain hoses in the right quarter then read this thread.

what-slides-thru-right-rear-drain-hose-grommet

There are 2 drain hoses that connect together and slide thru a grommet on the inner section of that quarter near the muffler. The large hose is one of the 4 drain hoses for the sunroof while the smaller hose is for the power antenna. I had to repair damage done to that right quarter on account of those leaking hoses. I shaved the power antenna so now the sunroof drain hose slides thru the grommet by itself.

Last edited by jholley; 10-08-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:23 PM
4 Maximas and counting

This may help
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/1996/BT.pdf

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Im trying to find the drain locations for the sunroof on my car. Every time it rains my driver side carpet gets soaked and I have narrowed down the possible causes and I am beginning to think it is that drain location. The one at the rear driver side near the evap box drains fine but I do not know where the others are. Help please as this is extremely annoying