4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

why i hate autozone

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 09:37 PM

why i hate autozone

sup org,

first things first
99, auto, 5th gen trans, 230k, right side axle

ok so i swapped my trans with an 01 I30 trans and installed a shift kit.
after the swap the axle that was brand new in 99 bolted up and fit perfectly with no issues. then i installed a VI. the new power and rough hard super slammed gears were the end of my 230k mile axle. buti lucked out so i thought. my buddy works for autozone and was able to get me a killer deal on a right side axle. 40 bucks after the core. so i gave him my
year "1999"
make "nissan"
model "maxima"
trans "auto"
diff "non locking"
ABS "no"
then he gave me my axle saturday after work (2 weeks ago) i comondered my rack at work and swapped out the axle

test drove my max and immediately felt a vibration. great "brand new axle'

so a week later (yesterday) the max goes back on the rack and everything comes apart again but now i need a ride to autozone (i love my wife)

so i give them my info and BAM theres my new axle. cool. no waiting or anything. oh by the way this is the autozone by me not my buddies autozone

so back at work i bolt up the block bracket slide the axle in and notice WTF the bracket wont line up. hmmm weird. well out it comes and i stand it straight up next to my old busted up axle (it was still in one piece) and GRRRR THE NEW AXLE IS LONGER

so back to autozone i go in there calmly ,even though i was p!ssed, said "i believe you gave me manual axle" he then replies "no thats the right one"
i then said alright give me one from a manual so he brings it out and guess what?... yup same size. so i said get me one from an auto with a locking diff. same size so i said "ok, parts man, bring me on for a 00 with a non locking diff no ABS" he brings it out and its the size i need

but... theres no axle seal ring. great. not to metion the only other axle is about 10 miles away. they only stock one because theyre obviously really smart.

so now i have an axle for a 00 with no axle seal ring all because this store sucks

4 axles later and a huge headache my max is back to normal. what a hassle

i hate autozone
Old 07-22-2012, 09:46 PM

I also hate autozone. Stock starter has 9teeth. My autozone starter has 7teeth. This means I get a grinding noise on the flywheel every 4-5 starts.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:47 PM

i feel your pain
Old 07-22-2012, 09:53 PM

is the axle seal ring important? i mean will it leak?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:00 PM

And that is why I tend to buy just motor oil at Autozone.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:03 PM

Im with you. I hate autozone... I replaced my mom's jeep fuel pump, 6 months later it effed up. So being under warranty they replaced it no problem. The replacement one didn't have enough pressure, so took it out and replaced it again. This time the sending unit was fu**ed up so it would mark empty when the tank was full. Finally after being to 3 different autozones they finally gave me a working fuel pump.

Not to mention this isnt a fuel pump you pull out from under the seat. I had to drop the fuel tank to get to it... with 3/4 full (22 gal tank) ....
Old 07-22-2012, 10:06 PM

Yep. When you get an alternator there, it's a 50/50 chance it will pass if you have them test it before you buy. And if it does pass, it will only last 2 weeks anyways. 4 alts later, I finally said give me a refund. And the parts guy REFUSED to refund the $65 core fee for it. Turns out they're supposed to by law. Wish I would have known that before. Autozone hasn't seen another dime from me
Old 07-22-2012, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_A32B
Same here
Old 07-23-2012, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
I also hate autozone. Stock starter has 9teeth. My autozone starter has 7teeth. This means I get a grinding noise on the flywheel every 4-5 starts.
Not to get off topic but my starter grinds also every 4 to five starts. I was wondering why, now i see. Autozone one sold me a strut mount in my 3rd gen max, come to find out after i got it installed the three screws were not even welded to the assembly!!! Wtf?? And there was no way that i could tighten them. Ended up having to undo the strut again and taking the mount back to them.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:54 AM

moral of the story?? STAY AWAY FROM AUTOZONE!!!!! i would'nt buy any parts from that dollar store operation if you paid me. all made in china or korea in a sweatshop where they're high on crack all day. total and complete crap, i'd rather go oem or napa where at least its not not mobbed with ricers tryin to get an aftermarket v-tech for their hondas.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:56 AM

dingdingding!

oil, and fuses yo. oil and fuses.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:26 AM
boost me.....

Originally Posted by max ride 41
moral of the story?? STAY AWAY FROM AUTOZONE!!!!! i would'nt buy any parts from that dollar store operation if you paid me. all made in china or korea in a sweatshop where they're high on crack all day. total and complete crap, i'd rather go oem or napa where at least its not not mobbed with ricers tryin to get an aftermarket v-tech for their hondas.
I agree---but all the remanufactued parts are done in MEXICO
Old 07-23-2012, 08:33 AM

i hate autozone because went i did a warrenty swap, instead of doing the trans as a warrenty swap they ran it as a return. both of my brothers had the same thing happen to them. i only deal with o'reilly's, not much better but they actually swap my axles with no questions (all 6 times...so far)
Old 07-23-2012, 08:33 AM

pads and rotors from AZ aint bad.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:35 AM

The only thing I will buy a Autozone now is brake pads...and i dont even buy them. Lifetime warranty FTMFW
Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 AM

^^^how does that work, i've had a couple of people that i've changed brake pads for and they tell me not to throw away the pads because of the warrenty. i thought the warrenty just covered pad damamge and not swapping them before they completely wear out?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:05 AM

^Get pads today...return them whenever the ____ you feel like it..and they give you a new set with no questions asked.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
^Get pads today...return them whenever the ____ you feel like it..and they give you a new set with no questions asked.

hmm
Old 07-23-2012, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by 96blackmaxSE
I agree---but all the remanufactued parts are done in MEXICO
that doesn't mean anything,stuff can be made in the USA and still be a piece of crap,most toyotas are made in mexico and are some of the best cars on the road,its all about quality control
Old 07-23-2012, 09:35 AM

they're all pretty bad

Advance Auto, I get some super duper 84 mo. battery, and it fails in 2 1/2 yrs. I got back to the store WITH MY RECEIPT, and the guy says the battery is no longer covered. I politely say yes it is. He says no, the warranty has expired.

The battery was purchased in 2005, and it was 2007.

Since I don't want another junk battery anyway (36 mo. free junk), I decide to have some fun. I say as loud as I can, "Tough guy, because you can't do math, I'm not going to get my new battery?"

I see this security guard making his way over to me, and this other dude goes, "Why'd you say he can't do math?" I told him let's be logical, I bought the battery in 2005, there is a 7 yr. warranty, which would expire in 2012, but it's only 2007.

The guy starts smiling. I say what the f*** are you smiling about, the fact that you can't add or subtract? Can you or can't you do math? Then I just grabbed my battery and laughed all the way to Sears.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
Advance Auto, I get some super duper 84 mo. battery, and it fails in 2 1/2 yrs. I got back to the store WITH MY RECEIPT, and the guy says the battery is no longer covered. I politely say yes it is. He says no, the warranty has expired.

Since I don't want another junk battery anyway (36 mo. free junk), I decide to have some fun. I say as loud as I can, "Tough guy, because you can't do math, I'm not going to get my new battery?"

I see this security guard making his way over to me, and this other dude goes, "Why'd you say he can't do math?" I told him let's be logical, I bought the battery in 2005, there is a 7 yr. warranty, which would expire in 2012, but it's only 2007.

The guy starts smiling. I say what the f*** are you smiling about, the fact that you can't add or subtract? Can you or can't you do math? Then I just grabbed my battery and laughed all the way to Sears.

Umm, you likely had a 24 month replacement warranty and an 84 month prorated replacement. Thats how they get you

Conclustion: read the warranty terms next time
Old 07-23-2012, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine

wow youre super cool and tough. i bet a super model came out from the back and gave you a rusty trombone as you showed that bully whos boss.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:17 AM

+1

After 4 years the left rear refurbished caliper I got at autozone seized. Only that caliper and 2 pads were burnt but I traded in both rear calipers, both rotors, and 4 pads with no questions asked. There quality is not the best but I respect their warranties.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:26 AM

autozone is full of idiots like evryone says only oil and fuses lol i went there to get my codes for my CEL the guy gave me an attitude came out got the code said this is a mazda right im like -_-....then he got the codes and says oh just change your gas cap drive 100 miles and the CEL will turn off i was like wtf...ever since that never been back at autozone, I always go to advance auto parts now they havent failed me yet so im good with them lol
Old 07-23-2012, 11:27 AM

Depends on where you are, can't use one store to judge a nationwide chain.

The autozones here in Houston are usually on the up and up, I'm on good first name basis with the one up the street with me, good service usually.

I do know more about cars in general then the employees there, but still they know their parts and their inventory which is what I come their for, parts, not help on my car. Hell sometimes they usually ask me to help them w/ a customer some times.

I got screwed by Advance Auto Parts (Their website) so I haven't been back there in over a year.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Autozone isn't too bad. I use them for lots of stuff and usually I get what I'm looking for. Autozone employees like any autopart store employees can be a real pain to deal with.

I usually chose which store I go to based on the employees. At least Autozone has acceptable quality tools for rent and for sale. Advanced Auto Parts seems to have junk for sale and for rent every time I look. My local one has a bunch of idiots working there too making the whole store almost worthless
Old 07-23-2012, 11:48 AM

^I seriously think that parts stores hire people that bomb their Q&A at inteviews, 9 times out of 10. A few examples here....there is a young girl at the local autozone that knows jacksh** about anything in the store. Hell, she cant even use the parts look up correctly...and shes been there for 2+ years.

There is an older woman at AAP, whom like the above girl, knows jacksh** about anything and just looks at you like :/ if you ask if "this" is in stock

and to top it off..the manager at O'reilys doesnt speak English as well as some random guy fresh from (insert foreign country).
Old 07-23-2012, 05:44 PM

Lol @ oil and fuses. You can go to Walmart an get the same things for usually $2-3 cheaper.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by styliztik
Lol @ oil and fuses. You can go to Walmart an get the same things for usually $2-3 cheaper.
Truth...although I found some mini-fuses (30ct. assorted box) for $5 at Advance a while back.....I bought a few boxes, im now shoe deep in fuses for $20
Old 07-23-2012, 05:49 PM

^I seriously think that parts stores hire people that bomb their Q&A at inteviews, 9 times out of 10. A few examples here....there is a young girl at the local autozone that knows jacksh** about anything in the store. Hell, she cant even use the parts look up correctly...and shes been there for 2+ years.

There is an older woman at AAP, whom like the above girl, knows jacksh** about anything and just looks at you like :/ if you ask if "this" is in stock

and to top it off..the manager at O'reilys doesnt speak English as well as some random guy fresh from (insert foreign country).
autozone suxors, period. i've never bought $hit from them since i had the max in 7 and a half years. i thought most of you fules were smart like me and went "online" to autowarehouse.com or rockauto.com to get parts?? c'mon now, lets stop argueing about these local yocal crap stores and yuse our brains shall, we??? hmmmm???
Name:  Sherk_Donkey.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  48.2 KB

Last edited by max ride 41; 07-23-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:53 PM

Nearest Autozone = 1.9 miles
Nearest Walmart = 14 miles

$2-3 ain't worth it.

Last edited by Shift_A32B; 07-23-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:57 PM

obvi
Old 07-23-2012, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
wow youre super cool and tough. i bet a super model came out from the back and gave you a rusty trombone as you showed that bully whos boss.
In that neigborhood there are no super models, and the only thing you'd get is HIV. When I knew I wasn't going to be leaving there with a battery, I figure I wasn't going to leave quietly like a p*****.

Ended up at Sears and paid full price for a Die Hard. They tell me that's going bad and it's only been 3 1/2 yrs....it's not an 84 mo. though, 72.....
Old 07-23-2012, 07:06 PM

Umm, you likely had a 24 month replacement warranty and an 84 month prorated replacement. Thats how they get you

Conclustion: read the warranty terms next time
If you're being serious and not a wise a**, it had a 36 mo. replacement and 84 mo. pro-rata. For whatever reason, the guy told me the warranty expired only 2 1/2 yrs. later. I didn't really want the same battery which would only last 2 1/2 yrs, so if it wasn't going to be free, I didn't want it anyway, and decided to have some fun on my way to the door. I didn't want to drive another 7 miles to another location, so I went to Sears which was down the street. Plus, I was driving my BMW which was brand-new at the time and I really didn't feel like hanging out, a little out of my element shall we say.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=Frank Fontaine;8552620]If you're being serious and not a wise a**, it had a 36 mo. replacement and 84 mo. pro-rata. For whatever reason, the guy told me the warranty expired only 2 1/2 yrs. later. I didn't really want the same battery which would only last 2 1/2 yrs, so if it wasn't going to be free, I didn't want it anyway, and decided to have some fun on my way to the door. I didn't want to drive another 7 miles to another location, so I went to Sears which was down the street. Plus, I was driving my BMW which was brand-new at the time and I really didn't feel like hanging out, a little out of my element shall we say.

yes biff, we know what your talking about...
Old 07-23-2012, 07:36 PM

I have never had any good luck with any of the parts I have purchased from Autozone. The only thing I bought there I was happy with was an Optima Yellow-top. Then about 4 months later, my idiot of of a friend gave me a hand jumping my car... and switched the terminals on the cables!!! Fortunately the only thing toasted was the battery. I was also fortunate that are not that bright there, and they replaced it, no questions asked. Then I let another friend use the new Yellow-top (not in the car) to jump his non-starting car. He proceeded to kill this one. Thanks again to brains-not-required employment opportunities, once again it got swapped out. Except for the ability to swap out parts to people that really don't seem to have much of a clue, I never go to AZ. - - On the other hand, I have never had any real issues shopping at Advance Auto.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:58 PM

Truth...although I found some mini-fuses (30ct. assorted box) for $5 at Advance a while back.....I bought a few boxes, im now shoe deep in fuses for $20
hm. exception win. lol

Nearest Autozone = 1.9 miles
Nearest Walmart = 14 miles

$2-3 ain't worth it.
dang. that sucks. lol
Old 07-23-2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
This is a fact up to this day with my friends 4th and 5th gen duralast sraters which always gring. Went back to Reman OEM in my car.

^^This. When Castrol GTX High Mileage is on sale, I am there.

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
dingdingding!

oil, and fuses yo. oil and fuses.
^^This.

The only thing I will buy a Autozone now is brake pads...and i dont even buy them. Lifetime warranty FTMFW
I use to get the brake pads but switched back to OEM after realizing when teaching people on the highways which car is faster, duralast pads lose hold once it gets hot while OEM does not.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41

yes biff, we know what your talking about...
Ah, I see after all these years the forum still has dudes that speak in riddles
Old 07-24-2012, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom

I use to get the brake pads but switched back to OEM after realizing when teaching people on the highways which car is faster, duralast pads lose hold once it gets hot while OEM does not.
I used Mighty brake pads once because someone gave them to me for free.

They actually lasted less than 1 year with normal driving. I used OEM exclusively for the first 3 sets, but they are kinda pricey now. Akebono it is....