4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

AEM fuel/ignition controller

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:18 PM

AEM fuel/ignition controller

Thinking about getting the universal 6 channel controller(30-1910) as an alternative to a full on standalone. Who has used this on the 4th or any other gen for that matter? Heres an overview for those unfamiliar http://www.aemelectronics.com/engine...oller-f-ic-12/ and this is a good price on it as well http://www.amazon.com/AEM-30-1910-Cy.../dp/B001DX58KA. You can probably even find a deal to include a boost gauge/bar as well. Picture of the universal kit 30-1910:

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 04-20-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:59 AM

A quick search says not many have used it. http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...c-4th-gen.html
Old 04-18-2012, 09:17 AM

If figured not because so many people dont think max's have the ability to tune without a full on standalone or a simple S/Vafc. It will work I assure you and Im going to order it and some bigger injectors and probably a used Z32 and see what hp numbers can be made off of such simple upgrades
Old 04-18-2012, 03:40 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Full standalone> Emanage ultimate> aem fic> emanage blue> vafc/safc

There was a turbo max that had an aem standalone installed.

Safc/vafc: Indirectly advance and retard timing through maf voltage by adding/taking away fuel.
Emanage blue: Retard ignition timing with the ignition harness, directly/indirectly control injector pulsewidth (duty cycle) and indirectly advance timing through maf voltage.
Aem FIC: Retard, advance timing, increase and decrease injector duty cycle directly, built in map sensor.
EU: Same as above but no built in map sensor, autotune feature.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:47 PM

Get an E-manage ultimate.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:25 PM

lol the point was to be able to tune on the cheapness because that will help a lot of people. Of course the EU would be easy and you could make power but I want to do something new by reaching the limits of the stock ECU. Like Modern automotive performance's Evo VIII that made 4 figure HP numbers on the stock ECU. More power can be made on engine upgrades as opposed to going straight for the EU nor do most even need the EU, its just the best and most expensive so people buy it. I think the AEM FIC is perfect for the max vq30 and even it has more tuning ability than most will ever need.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:03 AM
KH3 by popular demand

The reason most people go with the safc/vafc is because being normally aspirated there is not much to tune for, basically on our cars we tune the open loop operation. There is a way to be in open loop all the time and you would need something like an FIC or emanage to tune to manipulate the maf that in turn changes where the ecu goes to on the map. In short you are correct, an fic is nice on the vq, it's just that most of the following was using emanage so there was more support forumwise for it. Even on a boosted vq30 an fic is a better choice than an emanage blue with all the harnesses and map sensor and less expensive than an EU and a blue with all the attachments. So go for it.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:37 AM

I definitely interested in purchasing one as I'm building up for my turbo. Good find I must say. So I guess we would wire up the universal one?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by max1008
I definitely interested in purchasing one as I'm building up for my turbo. Good find I must say. So I guess we would wire up the universal one?
Yes I think there are a few generations of the AEM FIC so the newest one would probably be the best considering even it is only about $280. YEs the universal harness would work for our ECU. Simple install and more than enough tuning ability. Im glad my tuner recommended it. He said they have had really good luck with it on many applications.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Yes I think there are a few generations of the AEM FIC so the newest one would probably be the best considering even it is only about $280. YEs the universal harness would work for our ECU. Simple install and more than enough tuning ability. Im glad my tuner recommended it. He said they have had really good luck with it on many applications.
where did you find it for 280
Old 04-20-2012, 08:55 PM

Ebay has some good prices come up every few weeks. Im sure craigslist has them cheaper if you wanted to go used. I didn't mean $280 retail, retail for everything will end up being close to $400. Just checked on ebay and they have a 6ch for $324. I really want people to read this thread and understand how far you can go with the FIC. All everybody ever says is Emanage Emanage Emanage. Its expensive in itself, you need expensive harnesses, its hard as hell to wire up and has more tuning ability than a max, except maybe a seriously tracked max, ever needs. Even the FIC has plenty of options
Old 04-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Got Retrofit?

Fix oil leak first, buy AEM FIC after.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Fix oil leak first, buy AEM FIC after.
:matt93se:
Old 04-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Ebay has some good prices come up every few weeks. Im sure craigslist has them cheaper if you wanted to go used. I didn't mean $280 retail, retail for everything will end up being close to $400. Just checked on ebay and they have a 6ch for $324. I really want people to read this thread and understand how far you can go with the FIC. All everybody ever says is Emanage Emanage Emanage. Its expensive in itself, you need expensive harnesses, its hard as hell to wire up and has more tuning ability than a max, except maybe a seriously tracked max, ever needs. Even the FIC has plenty of options
Are you saying that the EMU is hard to wire up? If so, I couldn't disagree more with you. Dandymax's writeup is flawless and makes install easy.

What makes you think the AEM FIC is any easier install? There's no install writeup to my knowledge.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:40 PM

Its easier to direct wire into the harness. No there is not a write-up on the .org. Perhaps I will do one when I decide how I am going to wire it up. Just take a look at the harnesses provided for the FIC and the EU. The EU can do so much more so thus is requires more wires. I meant easy in the sense that it require.s less knowledge to wire up and you have less wires to deal with.

EU "simple" harness:

Compared to FIC:
Old 04-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Administrator

As to the amount of wires, it's hard to tell honestly since it's all bundled and wrapped up nicely. But looking at the AEM harness connector, I see a crapload of wires. As to the actual wires need for install, only you'll know that once you dive into the project or one of us dives into the install instructions and starts mapping everything. For reference, I used just about every wire for the EU install except for maybe 4 or 5.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:10 AM

I suppose I assumed it would be easier by looking at it. Just seeing as how the EU has so many more features it has to have more wires and the FIC does far less so obviously far less wires. I think the FIC paired with a variable intake Im still in the market for(still have yet to find someone who will respond via PM) will make for a potent but reliable set-up. SInce only people who know what an FIC is will come across this, if you have or know someone who does have a COMPLETE MEVI kit available let me know.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:34 AM

lol the point was to be able to tune on the cheapness because that will help a lot of people. Of course the EU would be easy and you could make power but I want to do something new by reaching the limits of the stock ECU. Like Modern automotive performance's Evo VIII that made 4 figure HP numbers on the stock ECU. More power can be made on engine upgrades as opposed to going straight for the EU nor do most even need the EU, its just the best and most expensive so people buy it. I think the AEM FIC is perfect for the max vq30 and even it has more tuning ability than most will ever need.
Maaaan would you STFU about being cheap. EU > AEM FIC, and they are both piggybacks, but the EU gives you more control. Your ECU will still be "stock". And when it comes to tuning yes you need as much control as possible.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:39 AM

Its expensive in itself, you need expensive harnesses, its hard as hell to wire up and has more tuning ability than a max, except maybe a seriously tracked max, ever needs.
All you do is about expense...

People don't build cars because it's cheap.

My Maxima is daily driven and is EU'd up, and it costs a few dollars, so what? Electronics are not something you try to save a hundred bucks on.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:18 AM
KH3 by popular demand

I believe the wiring differences are the EU intercepts the injectors and ignition wires so 12 wires in 12 out just on that point. The Fic only intercepts the injector wires, and maybe 2 wires for the ignition signal since it is going through a sensor and not the individual ignition wires. In the end it depends on your budget and what you want to do with the car. The EU can definitely do more but some of us just want to keep it simple.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Got Retrofit?

:matt93se

You'll never learn.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:12 AM

See I was looking to get a Fic, but I know EU has the option to raise the rpm limit, and when switching to one of the VIs you want an up'd rev limit.

I'm hoping to do my 01vi swap this summer and have been looking @ systems like this, especially since I intend to be a boosted member in two years.

And, I just like everyone want to mod my car, but as the rule goes, gotta pay to play.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
All you do is about expense...

People don't build cars because it's cheap.

My Maxima is daily driven and is EU'd up, and it costs a few dollars, so what? Electronics are not something you try to save a hundred bucks on.
Lol I never said it should be cheap. To go out and buy the newest and best of everything is expensive. It only makes sense to try and save money. THe average person simply does not need the EU. They will never use the full tuning ability of it. Its like buying a F1 car when you cant even drive yet. The point of the FIC is that it is everything you will need but cheaper than the EU. Never said its better or it should be a cheap project. Saving money where you can just makes sense because its money that can go into another project. All the EU people of course aren't going to like what Im saying
Old 04-21-2012, 11:19 AM

EU FTW. Plenty of people in the tuning world would agree. Why skimp on the extra $200 when the EU is so widely used on the Maxima. You can get so much more support and a Barney style wiring write up to walk you through it.

There arent that many wires. Hell, according to the pictures of the FIC's wiring, it's got two 24pin connectors (identical to the PC based power supplies) so that right there is 48 wires. Whether its a tap or an intercept, its still just as much wiring as an EU.

Then you have to deal with the integrated MAP sensor on the FIC. You either have to mount it in the engine bay or route that hose through the firewall. EU can just wire up a D16 map sensor IIRC and that can all be done cleanly in the engine bay.

Only thing I would even consider the FIC for would be the software support. Im just throwing that out there because im not even sure if it works. The EU requires an XP machine as it is not compatible with Windows 7. Ive seen where some people got it to work on Vista but its difficult. I have to run a virtual desktop on my laptop with XP on it in order to tune. (Which my EU died so I cant even do that now :/ ) So if the FIC has a more up to date software that is 7 compatible and has the same auto-tune function as the EU, it might be worth a shot. I believe it doesn't have an auto-tune though.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:49 AM

For the record, I've ran the EU software on XP, Vista, and 7 with no issues. I had no idea it was only compatible with XP
Old 04-21-2012, 12:06 PM

So with the aem can you raise the revs? This is the selling point of the eu atleast to maxima(vi owners) owners. I know id rather get a eu then buy and wait for jwt........
Old 04-21-2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
For the record, I've ran the EU software on XP, Vista, and 7 with no issues. I had no idea it was only compatible with XP
The software runs fine on them all, but the Emanage has no USB drivers for 7... So you cant connect it using USB on Windows 7. Software is fine though. Guess I should have specified. Even talked to Emanage tech support about it. They dont plan on making a USB driver for it for 7...

EDIT: OT... If by some change someone has connected it by USB on 7, and can communicate with it let me know! I want your driver! I looked for quite some time with no luck. Even forcing it and compatibility mode I had no luck...

Last edited by max_dreamer; 04-21-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:50 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea
So with the aem can you raise the revs? This is the selling point of the eu atleast to maxima(vi owners) owners. I know id rather get a eu then buy and wait for jwt........
Yes. You would do it the same way that you would with the EU. Since it also controls the injectors by directly altering pulsewidth.

The EU has a specific tab in the software for extending the rev limit (hence it saying it in the product descriotion), but we dont use that. The FIC (along with a couple other devices) dont have a specific rev limit setting, so the description wont mention that ability. But like I mentioned before, since it directly controls the injectors, extending the revs shouldn't be an issue.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
Full standalone> Emanage ultimate> aem fic> emanage blue> vafc/safc

There was a turbo max that had an aem standalone installed.

Safc/vafc: Indirectly advance and retard timing through maf voltage by adding/taking away fuel.
Emanage blue: Retard ignition timing with the ignition harness, directly/indirectly control injector pulsewidth (duty cycle) and indirectly advance timing through maf voltage.
Aem FIC: Retard, advance timing, increase and decrease injector duty cycle directly, built in map sensor.
EU: Same as above but no built in map sensor, autotune feature.
This is incorrect. It can only retard the timing. It intercepts the cam/crank signal and delays it. It can't drive it's own signal to advance it. But that was done by AEM on purpose. This unit was designed with turbo vehicles in mind but at the same time, keeping it at a comfortable price point for the average person with a daily driven performance vehicle.

A local is running it on his turbo 5.5gen and he loves it. He had almost no prior tuning experience beforehand but picked the software up in no time. The car has been running top notch ever since. From speaking with tuners, despite the extra features of the EU, most of them prefer the FIC. You get a more user friendly interface, a smaller unit, just as reliable (if not more if you count all the malfunctioned EUs), all instructions are in english, and you can actually call AEM directly and get great support from their team.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by essential1
Yes. You would do it the same way that you would with the EU. Since it also controls the injectors by directly altering pulsewidth.

The EU has a specific tab in the software for extending the rev limit (hence it saying it in the product descriotion), but we dont use that. The FIC (along with a couple other devices) dont have a specific rev limit setting, so the description wont mention that ability. But like I mentioned before, since it directly controls the injectors, extending the revs shouldn't be an issue.
So does the EB let you add fuel above 6500?Or can you only do the percentages? Or does it do it differently from the EU? If so then why cant you increase the revs on a EB? Im just more curious then anything. I already own a EU but, curious if that is how the AEM does it as well or if it actually can increase the revs.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by max_dreamer
The software runs fine on them all, but the Emanage has no USB drivers for 7... So you cant connect it using USB on Windows 7. Software is fine though. Guess I should have specified. Even talked to Emanage tech support about it. They dont plan on making a USB driver for it for 7...

EDIT: OT... If by some change someone has connected it by USB on 7, and can communicate with it let me know! I want your driver! I looked for quite some time with no luck. Even forcing it and compatibility mode I had no luck...
That's exactly what I meant by running the software on XP, Vista, and 7. Though that was all on 32bit systems. I couldn't even get the software installed properly on the 64bit win7. I don't remember if I used the driver off of the disc or downloaded it from the GReddy website, but I can check my laptop for you within the week.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:44 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Originally Posted by essential1
This is incorrect. It can only retard the timing. It intercepts the cam/crank signal and delays it. It can't drive it's own signal to advance it. But that was done by AEM on purpose. This unit was designed with turbo vehicles in mind but at the same time, keeping it at a comfortable price point for the average person with a daily driven performance vehicle.

A local is running it on his turbo 5.5gen and he loves it. He had almost no prior tuning experience beforehand but picked the software up in no time. The car has been running top notch ever since. From speaking with tuners, despite the extra features of the EU, most of them prefer the FIC. You get a more user friendly interface, a smaller unit, just as reliable (if not more if you count all the malfunctioned EUs), all instructions are in english, and you can actually call AEM directly and get great support from their team.
I should have said indirectly advance.. where there is a will there is a way...
http://www.nycmaximas.org/showpost.p...1&postcount=30
Old 04-21-2012, 05:44 PM

I know for a fact my local tuner prefers the FIC. THey have had a lot of luck with it on multiple platforms. WHen you say "its only $200" well thats a set of NWP spacers for someone you know? If 5 and 10hp matters to serious performance guys then even saving $100 matters. Just saying. The FIC has great support as others mentioned
Old 04-22-2012, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea
So does the EB let you add fuel above 6500?Or can you only do the percentages? Or does it do it differently from the EU? If so then why cant you increase the revs on a EB? Im just more curious then anything. I already own a EU but, curious if that is how the AEM does it as well or if it actually can increase the revs.
I haven't messed with the EB's software enough to say for sure. But in theory it should given the fact that you can input more than just a percentage value for fuel adjustments. Either way, you can do the emanage gold conversion and it will gain that ability.

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
I should have said indirectly advance.. where there is a will there is a way...
http://www.nycmaximas.org/showpost.p...1&postcount=30

Ahhh you're 100% correct. That post was a reply to me too. Lol.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:22 PM

The FIC is a very good tool for people who are just starting to mod. You can pay just about any tuner to install it and just about any tuner has experience with it as well. WIth very few mods a beginner can break the 200hp mark on our cars and have fun. That is all I wanted to bring to peoples attention. On about June 5th I will be going to my tuner again and I will try to post the dyno numbers while I am still N/A
Old 10-06-2012, 08:28 PM

Bump
I got a FIC couple days ago. I install it already! It was a used unit so not very complete. I just solder into main ecu harness. Pics to come soon.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:30 PM

good job. It a great tool
Old 10-07-2012, 02:19 PM

good job. It a great tool
Well I certainly hope so. I notice that we have two crankshaft sensors, one of which splits into two at the ecu. I just intercepted this one. Will this do?
Old 10-07-2012, 07:50 PM

I can't get it to work.
When I hooked it up, first I verified continuity between the pins on the ecu and each respective sensor. In the fsm, the crnk and cam sensors are reversed from the actual harness. maybe hopefully thats the problem.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:00 PM

Most likely. Double check everything as it is easy to make a stupid mistake

Quick Reply: AEM fuel/ignition controller