4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

AEM fuel/ignition controller

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 04:32 AM

I have two crnk sensors, a phase and pos. Right now the phase (by oil filter) is hooked up. Did I need to use the POS or do I need to use both crnk sensors? I smell fuel when it cranks over, so injectors are working it just not getting spark.
Also, for signal ground, I tapped into MAF sensor ground, is this ok or do I need a different signal ground?

Last edited by Maximeltman; 10-08-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:44 AM

i'd say save for eu if you really want to do tuning... vafc2 should be your best bet if you want to save money and still tune. essential1 already mentioned that it only RETARDS timing, i'm guessing for safety on turbo vehicles like he said.

I say EU... look at what i have to do in order to get EU like results:

- i have a used vafc2 for a/f tuning and setting VI at x rpm
- used jwt ecu for 7200rpm and slightly advanced timing (which is not enough at some rpms)
- i want to get a Bee*r rev limiter
- i still want to advance timing

all 3 of those electronics new cost as much as an eu and you still can't advance timing. just sayin. the advantage is you don't need to learn software for those 3 pieces, they have *****, displays and lights telling you whats up... and don't forget you still need to buy a wideband $200+.

i'm thinkin eu if i get 3.5... till then i'm happy with used vafc2 and jwt. might ****** up a used bee*r for next year, just need a straight pipe before i start shooting them flaaames lol
Old 10-08-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
i'd say save for eu if you really want to do tuning... vafc2 should be your best bet if you want to save money and still tune. essential1 already mentioned that it only RETARDS timing, i'm guessing for safety on turbo vehicles like he said.

I say EU... look at what i have to do in order to get EU like results:

- i have a used vafc2 for a/f tuning and setting VI at x rpm
- used jwt ecu for 7200rpm and slightly advanced timing (which is not enough at some rpms)
- i want to get a Bee*r rev limiter
- i still want to advance timing

all 3 of those electronics new cost as much as an eu and you still can't advance timing. just sayin. the advantage is you don't need to learn software for those 3 pieces, they have *****, displays and lights telling you whats up... and don't forget you still need to buy a wideband $200+.

i'm thinkin eu if i get 3.5... till then i'm happy with used vafc2 and jwt. might ****** up a used bee*r for next year, just need a straight pipe before i start shooting them flaaames lol
Thank for your in depth input! But I'm stuck on making this work!! Its already soldered in and cashflow is tight!!
I'm running HR cams and HR pistons. The engine starts without any tuning at all, however I'm concerned that it's too advanced by looking at the spark plug ground straps, the timing spark mark is very close to the bottom of the strap indicating too advanced? Also, its lean because the plugs are bleach-white.
I just would like to make it work, since I think all I need to do is RETARD timing and adjust afr. Do you or anyone else have advise as far as wiring the EU? Does it have two crankshaft intercept wires or only one? And if it has only one crankshaft intercept, which sensor (flywheel or pulley, or both) was hooked up? Right now I only intercepted the pulley crank sensor (phase).
Also in the FSM, the pins for the crank sensor and cam sensor are reversed(I tested the pins for continuity at the sensors) so I wired it accordingly-can it be that the crankshaft/cam sensors are indeed misprinted in the 1999 maxima fsm?
Old 10-08-2012, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Maximeltman
Thank for your in depth input! But I'm stuck on making this work!! Its already soldered in and cashflow is tight!!
I'm running HR cams and HR pistons. The engine starts without any tuning at all, however I'm concerned that it's too advanced by looking at the spark plug ground straps, the timing spark mark is very close to the bottom of the strap indicating too advanced? Also, its lean because the plugs are bleach-white.
I just would like to make it work, since I think all I need to do is RETARD timing and adjust afr. Do you or anyone else have advise as far as wiring the EU? Does it have two crankshaft intercept wires or only one? And if it has only one crankshaft intercept, which sensor (flywheel or pulley, or both) was hooked up? Right now I only intercepted the pulley crank sensor (phase).
Also in the FSM, the pins for the crank sensor and cam sensor are reversed(I tested the pins for continuity at the sensors) so I wired it accordingly-can it be that the crankshaft/cam sensors are indeed misprinted in the 1999 maxima fsm?
i would love to help but i don't do electronics lol just mechanical... i got the vafc2 and wideband installed and did the tuning myself. wait for someone with wiring experience chime in or start a help thread