4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rear Suspension Issue-Exhaust Pipe Hitting Rear Suspension Beam

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rear Suspension Issue-Exhaust Pipe Hitting Rear Suspension Beam

My 98 Maxima with 165k miles is still going strong minus one annoying issue....

About 6 months ago I noticed that when my car was fully loaded with passengers or when it hit a bump or pothole there was a distinct knocking sound coming from the rear suspension area. After inspection and some testing I have determined 100% that the exhaust pipe from the cat back to the muffler is making contact with the rear suspension tube. As the pipe dips up and over the suspension member and back to the muffler it clears with no issue but for some reason once a load is placed in the car or the car runs over rough roads the pipe makes contact with the suspension.

My exhaust which is about 3.5 yrs old is a Warpspeed Y-pipe + cat + Pacesetter exhaust kit. When I first installed that kit everything worked fine. No knocking. Around the time the sounds started to happen the metal mesh expansion joint in the y-pipe developed a leak and it was replaced by a new expansion joint that Warpspeed sent me and my mechanic welded in place. I dont think the exhaust is hanging low or has moved from where it was initially installed.

This weekend I replaced the rear shocks from a recommendation from my mechanic to fix the noise issue from the pipe hitting the rear suspension member. I replaced them with HP Blues since that is what the forum consensus said would be a good OEM replacement.

After uninstalling the old shocks it was clear to see that they were shot. They did not move like they should. Once compressed they stayed compressed. I did not replace the springs as I was told they should last the life of the care. Well once everything was installed and put back together I tested the car. The rear "felt" better but the sound is still there.

I am beginning to think the springs, which I understand control the ride height of the car, may be shot as well.

Anyone every encounter this problem or have suggestions to fix the issue?
Old 04-10-2012, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by dougj_1985
My 98 Maxima with 165k miles is still going strong minus one annoying issue....

About 6 months ago I noticed that when my car was fully loaded with passengers or when it hit a bump or pothole there was a distinct knocking sound coming from the rear suspension area. After inspection and some testing I have determined 100% that the exhaust pipe from the cat back to the muffler is making contact with the rear suspension tube. As the pipe dips up and over the suspension member and back to the muffler it clears with no issue but for some reason once a load is placed in the car or the car runs over rough roads the pipe makes contact with the suspension.

My exhaust which is about 3.5 yrs old is a Warpspeed Y-pipe + cat + Pacesetter exhaust kit. When I first installed that kit everything worked fine. No knocking. Around the time the sounds started to happen the metal mesh expansion joint in the y-pipe developed a leak and it was replaced by a new expansion joint that Warpspeed sent me and my mechanic welded in place. I dont think the exhaust is hanging low or has moved from where it was initially installed.

This weekend I replaced the rear shocks from a recommendation from my mechanic to fix the noise issue from the pipe hitting the rear suspension member. I replaced them with HP Blues since that is what the forum consensus said would be a good OEM replacement.

After uninstalling the old shocks it was clear to see that they were shot. They did not move like they should. Once compressed they stayed compressed. I did not replace the springs as I was told they should last the life of the care. Well once everything was installed and put back together I tested the car. The rear "felt" better but the sound is still there.

I am beginning to think the springs, which I understand control the ride height of the car, may be shot as well.

Anyone every encounter this problem or have suggestions to fix the issue?
Maybe the rubber hangers are worn and stretched out.

I also replaced my entire suspension a few months ago. I went cheap though. I bought a fully assembled monroe kit and just swapped out. Everything cost me about 400 for all four. Included shock/strut, spring, boot, and mounts. I figured it would hold me until I decided what I wanted to do with my suspension. My shocks were shot and I needed to do something.

Last edited by benjie; 04-10-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The exhaust system, if properly made and hung will not contact the suspension.
You're all aftermarket, it's not your suspension to blame.

On a good size bump while going around a corner my Walker system will hit the heat shield near the cat. I don't blame the heat shield...
Old 04-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I do agree that my exhaust system is all aftermarket, but it strikes me odd that for years I never heard anything from the rear and now (in the past couple months) its hitting the rear support member of the rear suspension.

During my inspection of the exhaust system this weekend the hangers all seemed to be in working order. Maybe I need to give them another look.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Got Retrofit?

Maybe it's time to change your rubber hangars.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:19 PM

As long as you are using aftermarket exhaust, you will need to replace rubber hangars. The exhaust is heavier than OEM. If you go to the dealer to order, they never have them in stock because its not a commonly replaced item.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:39 PM

what about a hanging pole from the muffler is hitting something above? mid pipe hitting cross member?
Old 04-10-2012, 05:46 PM

My exhaust hits my rear beam but it's cause I'm slammed smh
Old 04-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine does the same thing. the only part that is original is the muffler and pipe forward to the resonator. The hanger are just old and giving up.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:37 PM

if rubber hanger is an issue, then go home depot in the water section buy those hose tie. all sizes and all made from ss to be used for underground. if it is the pole then use something like tygon tubing. guarantee that the noise will go away.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My exhaust was sagging from a rusted bracket near the resonator that had broken. After re-welding the bracket the exhaust still was hanging too low. I got some Walker brand aftermarket exhaust hangers from O'Reilly auto that were stiffer than new nissan ones...and that fixed the problem.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2414&ppt=C0022