4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rear valve cover breather filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 12:23 PM

Rear valve cover breather filter

Alot of 4th gen owners go with the front valve cover breather filter as an easy way of eliminating the ugly hose or simply for looks. Boosted applications do it for necessity obviously. However, the N/A applications don't realize that only having a filter on the front valve cover will cause the engine to run lean because the filter is sucking in unmetered air and all sorts of other problems. Im starting this thread because I searched for rear valve cover breather set ups and there isn't a single thread on it unbelievably enough lol. My SC is going on soon so I am going to do the dual breather filter set up on both valve covers. The easiest way I see of adding the filter on the rear because the space is so tight, is to keep about 6in of the 3/8" hose on top of the PCV valve and then put a catch can in line and the filter on the end of that. This will catch the oil blow by from boosted engines and also allow the N/A applications to keep from running lean and having idle issues. I will post pictures once its done but its going to be hard to do a write up because it will essentially be an all custom job but I will try to explain. Stay tuned
Old 03-30-2012, 01:13 PM

i dont think there is rear valve cover breather or isnt that the job of the pcv???

The airbox has hoses for the front valve cover, the iacv, and that lil positive pressure air vaccum line for evap.

In for progress and pics!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:19 PM

Im talking about those who replace the front valve cover hose thats runs to the intake tube with a breather filter such as K&N or Spectre. The rear valve cover has the PCV valve connected to it and a length of hose that connects it to the upper intake manifold. Boosted applications need to run a breather/catch can set-up because more blow back is produced. N/A people usually only put the breather on for looks or because they don't want to run the original hose to their shiny new intake. The N/A guys usually always forget that they need to put a breather on the rear valve cover as well or they will run lean/idle rough. I have all the materials now and am gonna wait until my engine cools down before I install it because it is already hot enough outside lol

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 03-30-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:36 PM

This is the "catch can" that Ive made that is going to go on the rear valve cover. The can part of it is a Spectre in line fuel filter with the filter element removed and the filter is a Spectre breather filter. This is essentially the same concept as the catch cans they sell online but is about half the price and works just the same. Removing the filter allows the oil to pool and collect and the bowl is glass instead of the popular home depot catch can mod which is plastic and not designed for use with syn oil and leaks anyways. I originally wanted to mount it vertically but thinking about it, I think it will have to go laterally so as to avoid oil from leaking back in via the PCV. Some people drill out the PCV valve when they add in the catch can but I think im going to leave it as is because I want to keep the vacuum effect of the PCV valve working
Old 03-30-2012, 03:27 PM

Name:  IMG_0514.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  116.9 KB

Completed job. Tied it down with a high temp zip tie because I didn't want it flopping around. I like the way it looks because its not so huge like the aftermarket ones are. The only down side is its size. On a boosted application it will probably have to be emptied quite often. However it is a cheaper option nonetheless considering the Mishimoto catch can is about $100 as well as any other half way decent catch can. Hope this helps some out who are looking for a way to add this on to their set-up.