4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Power Steering Oil Pressure Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 04:45 PM

Power Steering Oil Pressure Switch?

Sup org, I just finished swapping out my power steering pump for another used OEM pump. After replacing, I turned left and right which car was off the ground to get the air out the system. When the car came down on the ground, sterring was very stiff. Examined closer and the high side hose had nothing coming out from the top while turning. The idle was not increasing while turning. Does the switch control the feed in the line? What are some possibilities?
Old 10-22-2011, 10:08 AM

The switch doesn't control the pump, it just signals the PCM when it detects a load on the power steering system. If necessary, the PCM then signals the fast idle control solenoid to increase the idle air. The switch is easy to check. Disconnect the harness and check continuity across the switch terminals. There should be no continuity until you start turning the steering wheel.

Is the belt that drives the power steering pump too loose? Are you low on fluid? The flow rate through the pump is pretty big. When turning the wheels with the front end off the ground, you should see a lot of swirling and turbulence in the power steering fluid reservoir.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by ATTappman
The switch doesn't control the pump, it just signals the PCM when it detects a load on the power steering system. If necessary, the PCM then signals the fast idle control solenoid to increase the idle air. The switch is easy to check. Disconnect the harness and check continuity across the switch terminals. There should be no continuity until you start turning the steering wheel.

Is the belt that drives the power steering pump too loose? Are you low on fluid? The flow rate through the pump is pretty big. When turning the wheels with the front end off the ground, you should see a lot of swirling and turbulence in the power steering fluid reservoir.
Belt is New OEM and is very snug on there. Fluid is full but when I was turning the wheel, the reservoir was rising past its mark and started coming out the top. When I slackened the high side bolt near the switch, there was nothing coming out there either.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:02 PM

Any other possibilities guys? Maybe, there is air in the system. If so, how do I get it out? Do I need to slacken the high side bolt at the top?
Old 10-25-2011, 05:11 PM

I performed a search from google this evening since our search function is not working right now. I found an old thread with someone stating there is a fuse for power steering. Could someone direct me to where this could be if it exists?
Old 10-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The engine should be off when turning left to right to left. You got PM.

DW
Old 10-25-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
The engine should be off when turning left to right to left. You got PM.

DW
+1

When first performing the air bleeding keep the engine off with the front wheels raised. Before lowering the car turn the engine on and peform it a second time.

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Belt is New OEM and is very snug on there. Fluid is full but when I was turning the wheel, the reservoir was rising past its mark and started coming out the top. When I slackened the high side bolt near the switch, there was nothing coming out there either.
After changing the steering rack ATF spurt out of my resevoir also when I performed the air bleeding.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:29 PM

Ok I did have the front end raised off the ground and I turned it more than 10 times as per FSM. I started it and turned it a few times before cuttin git back off the repeat the process. After that was done and I started it, it was still stiff. If there is air in the system, the pump will not funtion? Could the pump be that dead that it can't move fluid?