4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Who here is the original owner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 PM

Who here is the original owner?

I'm interested to hear your story. What made you decide to buy the car 10+ years ago? What is your current mileage and how reliable as it been? Do you love or hate it now?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Administrator

Considering the last max was sold 13+ years ago, I imagine you just narrowed your audience down to 3 or less active users on this board.....
Old 09-28-2011, 01:47 AM

5th title owner, 226,000 miles here. owned her since 2005, march
Old 09-28-2011, 01:51 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by max ride 41
Error 404: Original owner not found.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:57 AM

I am original owner of a 1999 SE... 167K miles... Generally reliable car over the years... Other than normal stuff (battery, brakes, tires, filters), I replaced all coil packs at 70K, clutch at 150K (along with slave cylinder and hose), and also did all 4 struts then. Both front axles replaced when boots became torn, also replaced all 4 wheel bearings. Had to replace blower motor twice, also fan control amp for auto climate control. EGR valve and all 4 O2 sensors replaced also... Power steering getting very hard now at cold temps until fluid warms up, may need to address that this winter.. At this point I feel I have gotten my money's worth, especially doing all the maintenance myself (except the lower radiator support which broke at about 120K miles). The only annoying thing is having to use premium gas, and I have been tempted many times to stop, but have not... I hope it lasts till 200K, or at least until our other car is paid off...
Old 09-28-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by slfalco
I am original owner of a 1999 SE... 167K miles... Generally reliable car over the years... Other than normal stuff (battery, brakes, tires, filters), I replaced all coil packs at 70K, clutch at 150K (along with slave cylinder and hose), and also did all 4 struts then. Both front axles replaced when boots became torn, also replaced all 4 wheel bearings. Had to replace blower motor twice, also fan control amp for auto climate control. EGR valve and all 4 O2 sensors replaced also... Power steering getting very hard now at cold temps until fluid warms up, may need to address that this winter.. At this point I feel I have gotten my money's worth, especially doing all the maintenance myself (except the lower radiator support which broke at about 120K miles). The only annoying thing is having to use premium gas, and I have been tempted many times to stop, but have not... I hope it lasts till 200K, or at least until our other car is paid off...
There's 4 02 sensors? I thought there were only 3? Two upstreams and One downstream?
Old 09-28-2011, 06:11 AM

Mine has been in the family since new. My Dad leased from 96-00, then bought out the lease. I got it from him 2005.

Has been very reliable - only major pieces replaced - starter and rad core support. In the process of going over all of the suspension bits and fixing a bit of rust.

Has been a GREAT car and is still FUN to drive!
Old 09-28-2011, 06:25 AM

I am a proud original owner of a 1998 maxima with 165,000 miles on it.
I do regular maintenance myself on it and I haven't really had any major problem. My only problem now is that my air conditioner is no longer working. Besides the regular maintenance I don't have any issues....however I'm now starting to see rust on the around the wheel (I live up in Canada..big time SALT-City).

I also own another maxima (1997) with 132,000 miles. The air still works but I'm seeing water on the driver's side. No issues to report.

I really love these cars and I think the engine will last forever, to bad for the creeping rust.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:34 AM

Original owner, 8/94 - 268k miles and counting
Old 09-28-2011, 06:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Orignal owner of a '99 I30. ~155k and going strong. Best mid-level car for the $$ - still is!. The youngest daughter has it now at college. Darn reliable.
I also 'have' another '99 I30, (I was the second owner in 2001) but signed the title over to my oldest (blissfully independent!) daughter last year. I still do all the maintenance and mostly all the repair for the vehicles. What's interesting is that the cars have pretty much the same issues within 5k of each other.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:51 AM

Baught this 1998 SE AT in 10/97 and am approaching 145,000 miles. I baught a 2007 Acura TL 3 years ago so the miles on the MAX have eased down.

EDIT:

My girlfriend back then baught a 1997 SE and I was impressed in how smooth that 4 door sedan drove. I just got a decent paying job after graduating from college so I needed to upgrade from that 1988 Taurus I was driving.

It would take over an hour to list all the repairs and upgrades I've done on it. In the past 3 years I've only braught it to a mechanic to do alignments and inspections. If it wasn't for the ORG I probably would of traded it in.

Last edited by jholley; 09-30-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:56 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I'm the original owner of my 99 SE-L. Bought it after I took a buddies 98 I30 up to Vermont for a weekend. Loved the power, drive line but hated the way it handled. The I30 was to soft. After a trip to Nissan I found out the SE's had the sport suspension, and an SE-L was sitting on the lot.

It's been one of the best car's I've ever owned. Runs/drives great with little more then regular maintenance. I've never had anything major fail, only normal ware and tare items. Original axles have been rebooted x2, several sets of struts/shocks with various springs and wheels/tires. It's been completely stock for the past 5 years now.

Current mileage is 187,xxx and going strong. I have no plans to give it up for at least another 2 years.

The interior has held up extremely well, no cracks or tares in the leather thanks to Armoral Leather Car. It's the only thing I've ever used on the seats. Exterior finish is in great shape, front bumper could use a respray. Rad support is rusty, seems solid for now. Overall a great vehicle, definitely got my $$$'s worth.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:50 AM

There's a lot of original owners here, contrary to some negative people would suggest.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
Originally Posted by The Wizard
Error 404: Original owner not found.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by slfalco
I didn't know you have to use premium gas
Old 09-28-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by kroze
I didn't know you have to use premium gas
Nissan calls for premium, but I've never put anything but regular in mine (purchased in '06 at 130K miles) and never had a problem. Still runs like the proverbial scalded dog at 215K miles. Warning: Others here feel differently.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bobflood
Nissan calls for premium, but I've never put anything but regular in mine (purchased in '06 at 130K miles) and never had a problem. Still runs like the proverbial scalded dog at 215K miles. Warning: Others here feel differently.
Yup. I believe the Owner's Manual says premium fuel is recommended. No where does it say it's mandatory. Touchy subject for sure here on the org.

Only two of you Original Owners have expressed WHY you bought the Max in the first place..just saying.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Original owner of our 96, 225K miles. Had some bumps in the past, transmission at 124K was fluke as far as I am concerned, water pump, sun roof cable, etc, just replaced the AC. Still love the car. Do my own work on it.

Bought it because it was Maxima, sporty but a good daily driver. Several Friends had one, Wife test drove several other cars, when she drove the Max, that was it.

Own and 08, looking for a 7th gen to replace the 96 at some point.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:57 AM
Conecarver

Orig owner until last month of a '97SE with 174K miles. Originally I wanted a fast 4-door sedan with stick. Not many choices except expensive BMW's and Audi's. The Nissan was quick, fairly sporty, had a great engine, and drove great. Yes I had to buy it in black, but so did many.

Reliability was excellent overall. Not a single major repair over a couple hundred $$ that wasn't my own fault. '01-'07 I autocrossed it, added $15K in mods, took them off, and maintained the heck out of it (strut changes 2x year, lubing brake sliders 4x year, over frequent fluid changes, etc.) 14yrs after purchase I could still push it hard and feel confident in the build quality. If it wasn't for rust, I'd still have it for a couple more years.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:40 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
Orig owner until last month of a '97SE with 174K miles. Originally I wanted a fast 4-door sedan with stick. Not many choices except expensive BMW's and Audi's. The Nissan was quick, fairly sporty, had a great engine, and drove great. Yes I had to buy it in black, but so did many.

Reliability was excellent overall. Not a single major repair over a couple hundred $$ that wasn't my own fault. '01-'07 I autocrossed it, added $15K in mods, took them off, and maintained the heck out of it (strut changes 2x year, lubing brake sliders 4x year, over frequent fluid changes, etc.) 14yrs after purchase I could still push it hard and feel confident in the build quality. If it wasn't for rust, I'd still have it for a couple more years.
radiator suppport rust?

or something else?
Old 09-29-2011, 05:27 PM

3rd owner @ 180k and the only problem was my thermostat. its a good car, if you take care of a maxima it will take care of you
Old 09-29-2011, 06:09 PM

I don't fit the qualifications persay but I am the 2nd owner. The first owner was my father who bought it new in '97 while I was putting around in the Stanza at the time. He bought it because it was likely a reliable car for the money (I guess he didn't want another Camry).

I obtained it from him a year and a half ago because he had bought a new Silverado 1500 pickup and didn't need the extra car and he knew I was driving my F250 everywhere which is a bit thirsty for diesel. So I use it as my daily driver since all my other crap is taken apart and in pieces

It currently has ~105K miles on it and the only thing that really had to replaced was the passenger side axle. Other than that it was routine maintenance items. I do need to get a new exhaust for it though cause I think mine is about to fall off the car (can't decide if I just want to do custom and tuck it as close to the body as I can get or just buy a Greddy SE system and call it a day).

Overall I am happy with the car, it does what I need it to do and gets me to work and is a fun sidebar from my other projects (I can't leave well enough alone )
Old 09-29-2011, 07:04 PM

Isnt this an original owner thread!?!?

Original owner..original engine..original tranny..1998 SE Model bought 5/1998..Currently 187K miles..I bought that max cause, while in high school, i fell in love with the white 3rd gen max. And back then i said i would buy a new brand new maxima whenever that day would come. So my time came in 1998, after my mazda protege was rear ended and totaled by a drunk driver. I love my ride and will never get rid of it. For the most part, it has been very reliable. Big repairs were: replaced rusted front radiator support bar(jersey car + snow), new suspension at 170k, new oem coil packs at 175k, new engine mounts at 180k, couple sensors, couple leaky gaskets and everything else has been regular maintance. And I did these repairs because i forsee myself with this car for years to come. I wanna join the 400k club..lol.. Oh! And currently riding with a cracked/leaking rack and pinion.

Last edited by felorojas14; 09-29-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by bobflood
As long as you can replace the knock sensor without pulling the upper intake manifold, its worth it.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Rit

Orig. owner

I have owned my '98 Maxima since new, and it currently has 89,000 miles. It was not driven for the 1st 10 Winters, so hasn't even a hint of rust even though I live in the Great Northeast. I bought it because Nissan was practically giving them away back then - $16.9K I have loved it from day 1, and still do. It is a 5 speed, and I have replaced the front an rear brakes once, and an interior light bulb - can't remember any other repairs - honest ! It has been extremely reliable. Oh - one battery, too plus a set of tires !

It is Artic White Pearl, and I still have people remark at how nice it looks at gas stations. Wife has gone thru 4 cars since I owned this, and it may outlast 4 more of hers !
Old 09-30-2011, 05:55 AM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
radiator suppport rust?
or something else?
Yep, welded the radiator support, replaced both front fenders (lower wheelwell), rear rocker panels, tiny bit on hood and rear axle.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Kevlo for President

My father

Car is 15 years old next month.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:12 PM

Originally owned by my family. Mom and I purchased our 98 GLE new from Somerset Nissan in NJ for ~$24K. My father drove it mainly to commute to work...highway miles. Car was given to me in 2007 since they bought a 07 Camry. Nothing was wrong with the car, they just didn't need it anymore. The car currently has ~164K miles to date. Only repairs to car were: alternator, starter, O2 sensor, knock sensor. Car starts no prob, Bose CD player no longer works, some idiot broke off the power antenna however the radio still works great despite no antenna! I go between reg or plus for gas. Car still accelerates very well and is very reliable. It's my most trusted car right now among my 2005 Oyssey, 1997 Land Cruiser, and 1991 Talon Tsi AWD.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:58 PM

Original owner of a 95SE, 5-speed, loaded, Black Emerald, tan leather interior, Bose, VLSD. Mostly stock except for Budget stainless steel y-pipe, FSTB and K&N panel filter. Picked it up 17 years ago to the day (October 1, 1994). Ordered through an autobroker through work (Cdn$35,000), including rustproofing, leather protection and DiamondKote. 88,363 mostly highway miles. I was impressed with the reviews I read in Car and Driver, Motor Trend and Road and Track, so I test drove a GXE 5-speed. Mine was ordered and it took over 3 months to get it as they were bringing them into the US at a faster rate because of currency relativities, ie. no rush to fill Canadian orders I guess.

Given the mileage, I have had very few problems. Replaced an 02 sensor on warranty, EGR control solenoid, coolant temperature sensor, muffler, one battery, starter, #5 fuel injector (after using Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner). Didn't use emergency brake much for 5 years and froze the right rear caliper, so replaced both rear calipers and pads, leaked gear oil for 3 years, after right outer CV boot split I bit the bullet and replaced the CV boots and had the transmission seals and bearings replaced 2 years ago(dreaded differential carrier bearing problem). The clutch still had almost 50% left but I replaced the clutch assembly at the same time, given the tranny was out.

Only one set of tires so far. Original alternator. I haven't even replaced the front brake pads and they have a lot of life in them given I don't use them, but I am getting somewhat concerned about their age.

I will likely be planted in this car. It is only driven about 4500 miles per year and should last forever. I live on the west coast of British Columbia and the car has virtually never seen salt or snow and is rust free.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:24 AM

My mom is the original of my 97-SE. She purchased it new in July 97 with 26 miles on it. It was the last 97 on the lot so they gave her 5k off. The sticker price was $29,292. I still have the original window sticker. Monthly payment was $547. Color is Pebble Beige/Tan Leather Fully Loaded except Heated Seats. She gave it to me for my 16th bday in April 07 with 104k miles on it. It now has 187k miles on it and still running strong with no major problems. I just had about $1700 worth of maintenance done. I'm now about to have the motor mounts replaced. It still has the same engine and tranny. The water pump is even original. Power antenna still works perfectly. Always have used premium gas. You want believe that I've hit 3 DEER in this car and didnt do a damn thing to it. Only really minor damage but I got it fixed. I enjoy this car everytime I get in it. I'm always getting compliments on it. I don't plan on selling.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:41 PM

How did you manage to put 83k on it in roughly 4.5 years when you were still in high school part of the time? That seems like a lot of miles in a short time frame to me.

Originally Posted by 97MaximaBoy
My mom is the original of my 97-SE. She purchased it new in July 97 with 26 miles on it. It was the last 97 on the lot so they gave her 5k off. The sticker price was $29,292. I still have the original window sticker. Monthly payment was $547. Color is Pebble Beige/Tan Leather Fully Loaded except Heated Seats. She gave it to me for my 16th bday in April 07 with 104k miles on it. It now has 187k miles on it and still running strong with no major problems. I just had about $1700 worth of maintenance done. I'm now about to have the motor mounts replaced. It still has the same engine and tranny. The water pump is even original. Power antenna still works perfectly. Always have used premium gas. You want believe that I've hit 3 DEER in this car and didnt do a damn thing to it. Only really minor damage but I got it fixed. I enjoy this car everytime I get in it. I'm always getting compliments on it. I don't plan on selling.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:15 PM

Going out of town alot and driving alot. I was never at home. Plus I just moved to Texas and out here you have to drive alot just to get somewhere. I moved out here in December 2010 and had 170k. Im now at 187k pushing close to 188k.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:30 PM

I am.....remember going round and round with one of the forum members here saying if you think BMWs are so great, why don't you go and buy one already. LOL my 335i coupe is already nearly 5 y.o. and I got that new. On that forum you have people who change cars like their underwear (imagine how much money they have to waste), I should also have that 8 years from now as well.

Actually, the Maxima is the daily driver, at 209k now. The 335i sits in the garage and averages 4-6k per year. We just got a AWD suv so the BMW will continue to sit in the winter. If you search my posts back to the late 90's, I got frustrated with a lot of the stupid problems the Maxima had under warranty. But looking back, it's a lot more reliable than the BMW and the new GM product we spent over 40k for (first warranty repair at 300 mi., second at 1900 mi.)!
Old 10-02-2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by cartman854
As long as you can replace the knock sensor without pulling the upper intake manifold, its worth it.
I've run 87 in my car for 13 years. Never replaced the knock sensor. The car is rated at 190 HP which is nothing in this day and age, it's definitely not worth premium imho. But in a modern car that needs premium, sure, I use it in my 335 which requires 89 minimum. There's a huge difference between 300 lbs. ft. and 205 lbs. ft.

The other argument was dino juice vs. synthetic oil. I never used synth until 200k, and it's at 209k now. I'd say dino is also good enough for the VQ.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1995 maxima, original owner, 236K, and still going strong. I spin my own wrenches, and can honestly say this car has never been back at the dealer since day one.. Oh, I've got stories, but I still trust her for my daily driver to work and back, about 70miles round trip. Bought the car when wife was pregnant, and now same child is driving the car. Money well spent in my book.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:08 PM

My Dad was the original owner. Car was built in 7/94. Running strong at 165k miles and its mine now/has been for the past year and a half.

You guys saw it when it became mine, and youve seen it change as ive built it.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:18 PM

Original owner of my '98 Maxima SE w/ roughly 230K+ miles on it. Replaced a ton of stuff throughout the years. This car was very reliable up until 125K miles. After that, everything seems to be breaking apart. Just recently, I replaced the transmission due to a leaking inner seal and the left lower control arm. Right now, my front end links, sway bar bushings, outer tie rods are all bad. Plus, the rear struts are both shot! Rust is every where. Really in bad shape! But the interior is still in excellent shape! I'm going to get rid of it pretty soon.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
.....But in a modern car that needs premium, sure, I use it in my 335 which requires 89 minimum. There's a huge difference between 300 lbs. ft. and 205 lbs. ft.........
Dont you mean there's a huge difference between a turbocharged 3.0 and a NA 3.0?

To that I would wholeheartedly agree.

DW