4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Extensive Maintenance getting me mad!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 03:03 PM

Extensive Maintenance getting me mad!!

Fellow orgers, I have been planning a re-sealing of my Upper Oil Pan for some time now. Parked up the car for a few weeks and started the job this Friday. Suprisingly, everything went smoothly especially the exhaust nuts. All but one got stuck and it ended up coming out with the entire stud. As I removed the upper oil pan to clean and reseal, I see that there is a slow drip of antifreeze coming from inside the upper oil pan near the pump.

So, I wiped it off and came back outside the saturday to clean and reinstall the oil pan. I still see the drip which I wiped off and installed the pan without any problems. Come back out the next day, the drip is still there. At this point, I got pissed and end up removing the enitre timing cover because this pump was replaced about 2 years with 35K on it which is a Duralast by the way. When I took the pump out, there is silicone on the o-rings . At this point, I was fuming because the last person that worked on this car was a local shop which I had him redo the rear timing cover o-rings for the oil leak.

Now, I will have to just get a new water pump and might as well upgrade the tensioner and guide while in here. What gets me more pissed is that the upper oil pan seal has to be redone because the half moon seal at the front is now removed because of the timing cover. Good thing, I have a second 4th gen to run around with.