4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replaced my Front & Rear shocks/struts **PICS**

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:21 AM

Replaced my Front & Rear shocks/struts **PICS**

I just recently bought this car and have a laundry list of things to do for it. First order of business was to replace the 12 year old struts. They're pretty much ruined as you can see from the pics. The car rides a lot smoother now

I was going to replace the broken antenna too while the rear suspension was off. I gave up after hours of trying to remove the antenna mast. I even went as a far as removing the whole assembly and dissembling it but the damn thing (antenna mast) wouldn't come out. I gave up and put everything back together. lol.

My radio still works with the broken retractable antenna so I'm not in a big rush to get it done anyway :/

However, this doesn't fix my rear suspension squeaking issue. Found out it was this bar with the bushing attached to the end of it was making the noises.
Does anyone know what is this thing called and how can I replace it? Can I replace just the bushing or do I have to get the whole assembly?

I got a couple more issues to be address in the future and hopefully you guys can help me.

- Front brakes squeaks (I think I'm going to replace front & rear brakes/rotors)

- Power steering pump making whining noise, volume is very low so I guess I have some time before it goes. It whine/buzz whenever I turn left or right or accelerate on the gas pedal.

- Front wheels studs. Found out I need to replace 2 front wheel studs because one was broken off a long time ago (riding on 4 studs) and the other was cross-threaded by the previous owner.

- Engine & transmission mount - I don't think I need to do these right away unless it's quick and simple to replace. the car still drives fine but I can feel it making the clunk sound as I take the car out of park.

Last edited by kroze; 08-28-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Got Retrofit?

Your brakes look to be shot but the struts/springs look nice.

Get some cross drilled/slotted front and rear rotors with front and rear ceramic pads. I just got mine for $141 shipped.

I can't help you with the PS pump but I can help you with the studs. They're easy to change once the brakes are off (which they will be when you change them). I had gotten some from Autozone and they were too thick so be weary with those. Just take a lug with you and make sure it threads on.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:46 PM

The bar in question is part of the rear beam. The bushing may be available for replacement (I haven't looked), but you may be able to quiet it down with some silicon lube. Check it to see if it is worn, if not, spray it!
Old 08-28-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Your brakes look to be shot but the struts/springs look nice.

Get some cross drilled/slotted front and rear rotors with front and rear ceramic pads. I just got mine for $141 shipped.

I can't help you with the PS pump but I can help you with the studs. They're easy to change once the brakes are off (which they will be when you change them). I had gotten some from Autozone and they were too thick so be weary with those. Just take a lug with you and make sure it threads on.
The rear brakes are shot to hell. The front one looks like it have plenty of pads left and the rotors look in okay shape. I don't know why it's squealing at low speed though

Did you buy your brakes and rotors through ebay at that price?

Originally Posted by 4GFIRSTMAX
The bar in question is part of the rear beam. The bushing may be available for replacement (I haven't looked), but you may be able to quiet it down with some silicon lube. Check it to see if it is worn, if not, spray it!
Thanks, i'll try the cheaper option first. Do you know the part number by any chance?
Old 08-28-2011, 01:02 PM

I haven't looked for the bushing, but I have a squeaky one too. I think I saw some aluminum one's in the 4G classifieds.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:05 PM

WRONG!
It's for a different bushing, I'll look around some later and let you know if I find something.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:07 PM

[QUOTE=ChrisMan287;8182562]

From where send link I need d/s rotors, lost a lot of stoppin power wit my nu rims...thx
Old 08-28-2011, 01:10 PM

What type of struts/shocks are those, gotta change mine out soon??
Old 08-28-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by MaxSowell
What type of struts/shocks are those, gotta change mine out soon??
They look like the same Monroe complete assemblies I just used to change mine. You can get them off Amazon for around $550 for all 4. It's a pretty simple swap with them and the ride is like new now.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by kroze
Did you buy your brakes and rotors through ebay at that price?
Originally Posted by MaxSowell
From where send link I need d/s rotors, lost a lot of stoppin power wit my nu rims...thx
Just search on eBay. I got them from the seller brakemotive. They might be $150 shipped now since there was a sale when I got em but it's still a great deal.

They're Powerstop rotors/pads and I already have them on my 5.5 gen. They're the **** and have lasted through one winter already with no rusting or cracking.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:38 PM

However, this doesn't fix my rear suspension squeaking issue. Found out it was this bar with the bushing attached to the end of it was making the noises.
Does anyone know what is this thing called and how can I replace it? Can I replace just the bushing or do I have to get the whole assembly?
Search for the super pro rear beam bushing thread. Jsutter used the bushings from a b15. It requires some work, though. The OEM bushings are pressed in.

- Front brakes squeaks (I think I'm going to replace front & rear brakes/rotors)
You can ride with squeeky brakes, if you like. No harm done. But on that note, they dont look good, either.

- Power steering pump making whining noise, volume is very low so I guess I have some time before it goes. It whine/buzz whenever I turn left or right or accelerate on the gas pedal.
Try putting some synthetic ATF in your power steering fluid, could quiet it down.

- Front wheels studs. Found out I need to replace 2 front wheel studs because one was broken off a long time ago (riding on 4 studs) and the other was cross-threaded by the previous owner.
Get them from advanced auto. They are probably 12x1.5mm, they're not terrible to replace.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:00 PM

i just replaced 4 studs on my front end, itll only take about 10 minutes to replace them once you have the brakes off, just tap them with a smaller hammer and theyll pop right out then just slip it in from behind(thats what she said) then pull them through till they get snug then put a lug on them and tighten them down and that will pull them the rest of the way
Old 08-28-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by beatdown97
i just replaced 4 studs on my front end, itll only take about 10 minutes to replace them once you have the brakes off, just tap them with a smaller hammer and theyll pop right out then just slip it in from behind(thats what she said) then pull them through till they get snug then put a lug on them and tighten them down and that will pull them the rest of the way
Thanks
Old 08-28-2011, 06:43 PM

Heres the thread MOHFpro mentioned: http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-fits-a32.html
Old 08-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
They're probably 12x1.5
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't our cars 12x1.25?
Old 08-28-2011, 07:04 PM

Nissan doesn't sell those bushings seperately. You can only order after market ones.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=7.3120

I just baught those bushings along with a new lateral link and control rod. I'll be installing them when I get a torsion beam at a local salvage yard.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Just the tip.

Yes.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by jholley
Nissan doesn't sell those bushings seperately. You can only order after market ones.

I just baught those bushings along with a new lateral link and control rod. I'll be installing them when I get a torsion beam at a local salvage yard.
Thanks, do you have pics of the lateral link and control rod? i just wanted to see what you're talking about.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:56 AM

Thanks, do you have pics of the lateral link and control rod? i just wanted to see what you're talking about.

The lateral link is part 55130P and the control rod is 55120R.

As you can see in this diagram there is no PN for the bushings you want because Nissan doesn't sell them seperately from the torsion beam.

Last edited by jholley; 08-29-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:41 PM

Thanks guys, I fixed a couple of things today thanks to you guys (I made a new thread)

Oh and another update, it's not my power steering pump that's making the noises. It's either the tensioner pulley or the alternator. Any clue on how to diagnose which one is making the humming/buzzing noise that sounded like electrical interference?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:14 PM

iirc the tensioner pulley wont make any buzzing(i could be wrong) but the alternator will
Old 08-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Got Retrofit?

iirc the tensioner pulley wont make any buzzing(i could be wrong) but the alternator will
Correct. It's probably your alternator, OP.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:31 AM

Struts look great brand new! Decided not to lose the 4x4 look and lower it a little?

I would just pull the whole power antenna out and pick up one of those sleek carbon fiber radio antenna's to replace the broken one. Power antenna's are so 1980's.

I also agree on upgrading to the cross drilled rotors. Those OE rotors have definitely seen better days. They almost look like they can barely stop a car.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

price

hello, where did you buy those quick struts and for how much?
thankz
Old 08-30-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
Struts look great brand new! Decided not to lose the 4x4 look and lower it a little?

I would just pull the whole power antenna out and pick up one of those sleek carbon fiber radio antenna's to replace the broken one. Power antenna's are so 1980's.

I also agree on upgrading to the cross drilled rotors. Those OE rotors have definitely seen better days. They almost look like they can barely stop a car.
I plan on making the car 100% stock & clean as possible. So no mods or drop. How do you go about replacing the power antenna with those stubby one? Have you done it? Is it hard or easy? I'm very interested to know.

As far as the brake rotors, yea the rear brake pads and rotors are pretty much destroyed. I'm going to replace them soon but as of now, I have other priorities for the car.

Originally Posted by imported_maximus_se
hello, where did you buy those quick struts and for how much?
thankz
eBay for ~$420
They're extremely easy to install because you don't have to deal with removing the spring and they include the strut mount & bearing (which usually cost $100 alone)
Old 08-30-2011, 12:00 PM

you could have saved yourself about 100 bucks and got ground control coilovers and you could kept it stock looking till you wanted to drop it and trust me you will
Old 08-30-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by jholley

How come it said the part is only for Nissan Sentra?
Old 08-30-2011, 04:44 PM

you could have saved yourself about 100 bucks and got ground control coilovers and you could kept it stock looking till you wanted to drop it and trust me you will
Not really, I like my car stock. As long as it runs and drives 100% and maybe a decent sound system and head unit I'm happy.

But right now I have so many little issues I want to take care of. Mostly the front & rear suspension squeaking/cracking.

I guess all of the bushings are about to go after 12 years.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:18 PM

Yo beat, how do these ground controls ride?? With new shocks are they close 2 a stock feel, don't want nothin bouncy...u can't control stiffness like coilovers can u??.. I'm only doin 1.5 in front .5 in rear, I'm on 20's
Old 08-30-2011, 06:36 PM

How come it said the part is only for Nissan Sentra?
Read thru the thread that schmelly provided. In the last few posts you'll see that some members successfully installed the 7.3120 bushings on their maximas. I contacted ES and they also confirmed they will fit a 4th gen maxima. I trust them so I got them delivered last month. I won't install them until I dig up a used torsion beam. Mine is heavily rusted due to flooding.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Just search on eBay. I got them from the seller brakemotive. They might be $150 shipped now since there was a sale when I got em but it's still a great deal.

They're Powerstop rotors/pads and I already have them on my 5.5 gen. They're the **** and have lasted through one winter already with no rusting or cracking.
Damn that is a good deal...and to the OP good job on the struts and springs and agree the rear rotors look to be done for, good luck with your other things on your list.....
Old 08-30-2011, 08:04 PM

i dont personally have the coilovers but a buddy of mine bought them and i helped install them they ride pretty good a little bouncy but then again his is slammed, and i mean like pushing a crushed soda can across a parking lot with the front bumper with no lip kinda low. his is a beast but then again he makes about 1300 a week and barely has any bills. his most recent money drop was a 10 psi garrett turbo with new pipes, intercooler, the whole shebang... oh did i forget to mention hes rocking a tuned vq35 lol hes prolly in the 350-400 whp range (i could be wrong)
Old 03-10-2012, 06:48 PM

What is that separated plastic cover on the new springs of the shocks. What is the purpose of it? Looks like a black tube cut into pieces wrapped on the spring.

It looks like some tape, and it's $12 each and there are 3 per each spring. That's $72 of tape.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:06 PM

It keeps the spring quiet and keeps it from squeaking if I understand what your asking about. Sure thats the right part your looking at? It would surprise me to hear they actually still make that or supply it at all. All it is is like a plastic type material that cracks and breaks over time. I would find something to do it myself for that price. You can buy a silicone dip and dip the springs in there. Would accomplish the same thing and will be cheaper and probably last longer too as long as you spray some wd-40 on it every once in a while. BTW we have struts on the 95-99. Hope this answered your question and GL
Old 03-10-2012, 07:14 PM

I misspoke. Struts is what I meant.

It's the right part. I am just collecting a bunch of parts for a strut replacement. I have the tokicos but need the jazz that goes with to replace while I have it apart: seat, bearings, and boot assy, and as I was looking at the diagrams I saw those tube sleeves or whatever. I figured it was for sound dampening, but wanted to make sure.

Where can one get silicone dip? That actually makes more sense than the spring sleeves.

Last edited by atriuum; 03-10-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:18 PM

I think home depot will sell it. Online if not. Im assuming it will work fine but might squeek a little which is why I suggest spraying it with wd-40. Its possible it doesnt work if the silicone is really thick because the spring might not sit good in the notch. Should work fine though. Most aftermarket springs don't have that coating though and it doesn't squeak at all.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:23 PM

That's one hell of a rusty brake
Old 03-10-2012, 07:34 PM

LOL. I think the OP was getting the car drivable.

I am wondering where I can get slotted drilled rotors and ceramic pads for 141 dollars ha.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:38 PM

Powerstop is the brand and they are very nice quality for the price. They are still out there. About $155 for the front 2 rotors and ceramic pads.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:57 PM

I just found them on amazon. Pretty reasonable. I have akebonos on, which I just put on last fall, but I will def. keep this in mind for next break replacement. Slotted rotors though are pretty sporty, would be nice.

Quick Reply: Replaced my Front & Rear shocks/struts **PICS**