4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can't shift out of neutral after axle swap! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can't shift out of neutral after axle swap! Help!

I need some advice guys. I am replacing my struts, control arm bushings, and driver's side axle...and now I can't shift the car at all. It's like it's stuck in gear except it's stuck in neutral. Is the axle not seated properly? I drained and refilled the transmission, and replaced the axle seal while I was in there. Help please...getting frustrated!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:04 PM

i know the driver side axle you have to really oomph in there. pull it out slightly and ram it in there. haha, but seriously till it clicks. the only thing that could affect your ability to shift is the axle so it seems most logical.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:29 PM

But does it affect the transmission going into gear too? Obviously, if the axle isn't seated it won't drive properly but it should go into gear right?

Also, I've had a problem with this exact same issue before from when I poly'd the engine mounts. I couldn't go into 1st, 3rd, or 5th but it eventually loosened up after a month or two. I was able to use 5th with a little extra effort. Now I have no gears...

I'm going to snug up the axle a bit and put it back together. I think my transmission problem is back...FML
Old 01-05-2011, 07:48 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by beegeezy
But does it affect the transmission going into gear too? Obviously, if the axle isn't seated it won't drive properly but it should go into gear right?

Also, I've had a problem with this exact same issue before from when I poly'd the engine mounts. I couldn't go into 1st, 3rd, or 5th but it eventually loosened up after a month or two. I was able to use 5th with a little extra effort. Now I have no gears...

I'm going to snug up the axle a bit and put it back together. I think my transmission problem is back...FML
Have you double checked to make sure your shift linkage hasn't been bent or knocked out of alignment? It could have easily been misaligned a little while installing the mounts, and then the problem could have been exaggerated while working on the control arm. Check it out if you haven't already. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a cheaper fix than a trans replacement.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:20 PM

Fixed!!! I'm such an idiot. When I drained my trans last time I rounded off the drain plug, so I picked up a new one at Autozone. Apparently the one I bought was a tiny bit longer than the original bolt. The damn thing was acting like a set screw on the linkage rod in the transmission. My recent trouble was exacerbated by forgetting the washer...putting further pressure on the rod. I backed it off a bit and the shifting is smooth as silk! I guess I'll be picking up a new drain plug at the dealer tomorrow!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Sweet! Easy fix FTW.