4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Evap purge control valve (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Evap purge control valve (Pics)

I found charcoal in the below displayed valve, mainly in the #2 compartment in the pic. So i replaced the charcoal box, then reset my ECU. The original code was PO1447.

The same code came back today so here are the procedures that i did.

1/ Turn ignition on and listen for valve to open/close. (i heard the motor)

2/ Check ohm on multimeter (i found a diagram on the forums, the ohm was 30, i believe thats within specs)

3/ I Pull the hose connected to #2, but i didnt get any vacuum suction. If i pull #1 there is some suction, and of-course the car shuts off when i remove my finger.

Am i suppose to get any suction from the #2 end of the valve when the hose is connected to #1? Also i noticed my gas tank isn't pressurized, when i open the gas cap i dont hear the hiss.

Please help, my 10 day inspection is up this weekend, and the guy screwed me over when i bought this car, it came with so many problems, i cant resell it because it wouldnt be right to pass it on to someone else.

Thanks very much.
Attached Thumbnails Evap purge control valve (Pics)-img7394smallmx1.jpg  
Old 05-14-2010, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by khemraj1999
I found charcoal in the below displayed valve, mainly in the #2 compartment in the pic. So i replaced the charcoal box, then reset my ECU. The original code was PO1447.

The same code came back today so here are the procedures that i did.

1/ Turn ignition on and listen for valve to open/close. (i heard the motor)

2/ Check ohm on multimeter (i found a diagram on the forums, the ohm was 30, i believe thats within specs)

3/ I Pull the hose connected to #2, but i didnt get any vacuum suction. If i pull #1 there is some suction, and of-course the car shuts off when i remove my finger.

Am i suppose to get any suction from the #2 end of the valve when the hose is connected to #1? Also i noticed my gas tank isn't pressurized, when i open the gas cap i dont hear the hiss.

Please help, my 10 day inspection is up this weekend, and the guy screwed me over when i bought this car, it came with so many problems, i cant resell it because it wouldnt be right to pass it on to someone else.

Thanks very much.

Umm I would advise you to get the FSM as that code P1447 can be a number of sensors in which you would have to check out. The enitre EGR system is made up of so many different sensors that the code you got can point to any other sensor within the EGR system. Good Luck
Old 05-16-2010, 09:25 PM

Hey I just went through this drama with an evap code on my 97 max. There is actually a service bulletin on how to clean the damage caused by the leaking charcoal canister.

http://www.lyberty.com/car/Maxima_A3...NTB00-085a.pdf

You must have an air compressor to clean ALL of the charcoal out of the sensors in the engine compartment. Blow compressed air through the hose as the diagram pictures. My car had charcoal in both sensors. The hose that you blow the air through runs all the way to the charcoal canister on the rear driver side of the car. (If you have a 97^.

So that means you must also disconnect the hose where it meets the charcoal canister. I followed the procedure and have cleared my check engine light.

Also, as trini stated you should download the factory repair manual. Or.. just do the cleaning in the link i provided and reset your light. Let us know if it works for you.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:52 PM

I also get the P1447 code on my 97 and found charcoal in the valve and my gas tank pressurizes. I thank Blakfreestyle for the service bulletin tip. If you want to download a service manual, go here - http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/
Old 07-02-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Blakfreestyle
Hey I just went through this drama with an evap code on my 97 max. There is actually a service bulletin on how to clean the damage caused by the leaking charcoal canister.

http://www.lyberty.com/car/Maxima_A3...NTB00-085a.pdf

You must have an air compressor to clean ALL of the charcoal out of the sensors in the engine compartment. Blow compressed air through the hose as the diagram pictures. My car had charcoal in both sensors. The hose that you blow the air through runs all the way to the charcoal canister on the rear driver side of the car. (If you have a 97^.

So that means you must also disconnect the hose where it meets the charcoal canister. I followed the procedure and have cleared my check engine light.

Also, as trini stated you should download the factory repair manual. Or.. just do the cleaning in the link i provided and reset your light. Let us know if it works for you.
[FROM SEARCH]

Good find!

I just tried it.
+ check all my valves with 12V ( both on the canister), everything fines.
BUT I found gas in the line ( probably over flow)

So now I'm waiting around 50 miles!

Here are my codes, the last one is funny...
Old 07-09-2011, 02:39 PM

i too found charcoal in the mentioned #2 compartment. No code but the valve was whistling a bit at idle and charcoal clogged a portion of the #2 hose.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:06 PM

Had the same code because of the same problem. I also had to blow out all lines with an air compressor. ****in shop was raining charcoal. Be sure to lube the valve.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:13 PM

Hopefully gonna do this tonight when I get home from work my buddy from Nissan pulled the bulletin for me and printed it. good looks on this thread BTW!
Old 08-01-2011, 02:33 PM

I had this problem too, but I don't have an air compressor. I took my vacuum cleaner and duct taped it to the vacuum line, using a piece of rubber hose to extend the vacuum line out to where it was easier to do the taping.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i checked the evap canister purge control valve on top of the manifold and also checked the back one they both seem ok i cleaned them with wd-40 my check engine light is still on do you guys thing i should just change the one on tp of the manifold and my nissan is a 96 just trying to save some money and dont want to take it to the mechanic any help is appreciated thanks guys my nissan is a 96

Last edited by bayboss23; 08-01-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by bayboss23
my check engine light is still on
What code are you getting?
Go to a pull-a-part type place, will cost under $ 10.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I had this problem too, but I don't have an air compressor. I took my vacuum cleaner and duct taped it to the vacuum line, using a piece of rubber hose to extend the vacuum line out to where it was easier to do the taping.
+++1
Old 08-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by sparky1562
What code are you getting?
Go to a pull-a-part type place, will cost under $ 10.

The code is p1445,1008 not sure if it could be somethin else but my car won't pass smog and don't want to pass it illegally just trying to fix it ryt besides that car runs good
Old 08-01-2011, 09:40 PM

P1445 is for the EVAP Canister Purge Volume Control Valve, not the EVAP Canister Volume Control Valve. The EVAP Canister Purge Volume Control Valve is on top of the engine that is connected to the EVAP Canister Volume Control Valve by a big vacuum hose.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:09 PM

Did mine as I said I blew all the lines out with my air compressor and boy was there alot I did all the evap components and no code yet! If I don't update again the bulletin worked!
Old 08-02-2011, 02:54 PM

Code P1445 keeps popping up but I have no charcoal clogging it up.
I think my Evap PVCV is just dead, but its throwing me off as I hear it
Click when I turn on the ignition.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:03 PM

I had blown mine out, didnt find anything. The resistance was within spec, and I could hear it move, took it apart seemed to be working correctly, kept getting code.

Got one from the pull a part yard, code gone.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by sparky1562
I had blown mine out, didnt find anything. The resistance was within spec, and I could hear it move, took it apart seemed to be working correctly, kept getting code.

Got one from the pull a part yard, code gone.

Well looks like that might have to be my next step.
Either go to a pick and pull or buy a used one off here.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ight guys so i cleaned the EVAP Canister Purge Volume Control Valve the one on top of the engine and the one in the rear just in case they both seemed ok i couldnt take out one of the screws on the canister purge control valve so i couuldnt take it apart i cleaned it up with wd40 but didnt see any charcoal still not sure if i should get a used one from the junk yard or get a new one from autozone what do you guys think any input would help
Old 08-16-2011, 09:31 PM

anyone have or do a write-up on cleaning it, i have the same code
Old 08-17-2011, 05:55 PM

The only thing you can/need to do is make sure the valve part is clean and free of debris. The other end is a sealed electrical coil/stepper motor.

Mine tested fine and seemed to work but was the source of my code.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:45 PM

im bringing this post back from the dead. i was having the same problem with the p1447. i cleaded out my system using one of the above links, but i didnt use a compressor, 100psi of air in the evap system doesnt seem healthy. i took off the Evap purge valve canister and cleaned that out by hand and by blowin g into it.

i put everything back togethher and plugged in the scanner, and now i have the p1447 and a p1445 code.... any ideas????
Old 08-28-2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dsquared97maxse
im bringing this post back from the dead. i was having the same problem with the p1447. i cleaded out my system using one of the above links, but i didnt use a compressor, 100psi of air in the evap system doesnt seem healthy. i took off the Evap purge valve canister and cleaned that out by hand and by blowin g into it.

i put everything back togethher and plugged in the scanner, and now i have the p1447 and a p1445 code.... any ideas????
A bad EVAP canister can allow the charcoal pieces to be sucked into the engine through the EVAP canister purge volume control valve and the EVAP canister purge control valve. If this were happening, you need to blow out the lines that run between the Evap canister and the engine. You would disconnect the line at both ends to do this and 100psi wouldn't be a problem or an issue.

But the EVAP canister doesn't have to be bad for the P1447 code to occur. You could have a bad EVAP canister purge volume control valve on the engine. This valve will also give you the P1445 code. The EVAP canister purge volume control valve has a small stepper motor built into it, so it could have gone bad.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:58 AM

Somebody needs to throw the How-To in the third post, into 4th Gen, How-To Section.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:05 PM

+1 on the how to. I have p1447 and p1448 with a couple others and wanna try to get this taken care of.... kinda suspect thats what gives me cold start issues in the winter (might be iacv tho) but i digress...

How to for dealing with EVAP problems would make me happy
Old 10-07-2012, 05:36 PM

cleaned my system out, still got the code. so soon im gona try and pull that piece at a junkyard. but i does anyone know if just a vacum leak could cuase this. i read in another older post that a cracked filler neck caused this on some elses car around 2007 i think it was, like i said it was an old post
Old 10-07-2012, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I have the P1447 code as well. What I would like to know is how you accomplished this without the vacuum line being sucked into the vacuum cleaner? Pics?

BTW found this... http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog...-go-into-tank/

Looks like overfilling the gas tank can be a cause of this issue. Who would have thought?

Last edited by JAmerican; 10-07-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:24 AM

Just found this in Kevlo911's check engine code page in the stickies

(p1447=0111)

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0111 is detected when ...
- EVAP control system does not operate properly.
- EVAP control system has a leak in the line between intake manifold and EVAP control system pressure sensor.

Possible causes include ...
- EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve stuck closed.
- EVAP control system pressure sensor and its circuit.
- Loose, disconnected, or improper connection of rubber tube.
- Blocked rubber tube.
- Blocked or bent rubber tube to MAP/BARO switch solenoid valve.
- Cracked EVAP canister.
- EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve.
- Closed Throttle Position Switch.
- Improper connection of one-way valve.
- Blocked purge port.
- EVAP canister vent control valve.

This is a "jackpot" code. It points to so many possible causes as to be almost useless. It may be accompanied by another DTC which is more specific.

and this one

(p1448 = 0309)

Evap Cannister Vent Control Valve-Trace vacuum hard lines to make sure that there are no leaks to the evap cannister.

Reference FSM EC-23 for a diagram.

Hope that helps
Old 10-08-2012, 09:25 AM

...But I still would like to see a how to on diagnosing evap problems, finding leaks etc.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by cjanderson3
...But I still would like to see a how to on diagnosing evap problems, finding leaks etc.
Well, that's not coming from me. I have had a nightmare in fixing my EVAP problems. It's been years...no kidding. I believe I finally have it fixed. All new components, empty canister (since the charcoal keeps on clogging stuff) and as soon as I get it all done, I get a EGR code to top it off.

The whole Nissan setup sucks.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Zigg
Well, that's not coming from me. I have had a nightmare in fixing my EVAP problems. It's been years...no kidding. I believe I finally have it fixed. All new components, empty canister (since the charcoal keeps on clogging stuff) and as soon as I get it all done, I get a EGR code to top it off.

The whole Nissan setup sucks.
There's a write up in the stickies on how to clean out the egr tube along with iacv and tb, might solve your egr problems. I plan to do that soon, but the evap system is lacking a sticky so I'm kinda on my own on that one
Old 11-10-2012, 09:52 PM

Mine was sticking when I received my 4th Gen....I removed valve from the charcoal canister and found it too be stuck...So I cleaned and haven't had any problems in about 1 year.....
Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Mine was sticking when I received my 4th Gen....I removed valve from the charcoal canister and found it too be stuck...So I cleaned and haven't had any problems in about 1 year.....
Are your referring to the valve mounted behind the rear tire right off the canister? That was probably the first place I was gonna check, along with clearing the line to the engine bay to see if it's full of charcoal.

Oh, and I bought a discount halloween fog machine from wallyworld to check the system for leaks... so we'll see what happens?
Old 11-11-2012, 09:57 PM

If your line was full of charcoal it's time for a new canister!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
If your line was full of charcoal it's time for a new canister!
yep, unfortunately I haven't had time to check yet