4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Strange electrical problem.. Air bag light flashing, car dies. Help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 03:39 PM

Strange electrical problem.. Air bag light flashing, car dies. Help needed!

1997 5spd SE (Canadian) 243,000 km (151,000mi)

Well as the story goes, I was driving today and out of nowhere as i rounded a corner the Air bag light started flashing at me, and all my indicator lights and clock, etc started to dim badly. I pulled over and checked under the hood. I was unable to find any indication of an issue. I revved the engine up and as I did the Defrost light started clicking on and off with the RPM.

I shut it off, started it again, started fine, no lights, drove around the corner and it happened again, and the car almost died.
I pulled the codes and got a 0901 (O2 Front right bank)
I just replaced the O2 6 months ago with an OEM one. I doubt this could cause my issues, but I don't know for sure.

I drove it a bit further and it died. I got a boost and it started, drove around the corner and the air bag light started flashing again and it died.

The water in the battery was a little low so I topped it up, charged the battery, and I made it home fine.

The thing that has me stumped is the Air bag light and Defrost clicking on and off.

I've been through the dead battery and alternator issues many times, and not once on this occasion did my battery light or brake light come on.
The bulbs for both are fine.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm sending it to an electrical shop tomorrow to have them check it out, but I'm stumped here and if they dont find anything..... I hate being stranded.
Sorry for the lengthyness just trying to give as much info as I can.
What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Matt

EDIT: The Air bag light started flashing AFTER I made the turn
Also, the battery is only about 8 months old.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 01-11-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:00 PM
No more Maximas...

Having issues with the airbag while turning seems like clock spring, losing power could be explained by the ignition switch as well.

Not sure on the defrost, though

Do you happen to have an aftermarket remote start or keyless entry system?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:09 PM

The air bag light started flashing randomly, didnt seem to have anything to do with turning or otherwise. Seems more like an indicator that there's an issue and the car is going to die, but I've never heared of this before,
I'm thinking a short somewhere thats causing issues, and that would explain the battery drain.

I have no auto start or any other aftermarket system wired into the car.

I'm going out to check the stereo wiring and disconnect the fuse now, just to eliminate it as a possibility.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:10 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
The air bag light started flashing randomly, didnt seem to have anything to do with turning or otherwise. Seems more like an indicator that there's an issue and the car is going to die, but I've never heared of this before,
I'm thinking a short somewhere thats causing issues, and that would explain the battery drain.

I have no auto start or any other aftermarket system wired into the car.

I'm going out to check the stereo wiring and disconnect the fuse now, just to eliminate it as a possibility.
So it doesn't matter if you turn the wheel or not for the airbag light to turn on?

I see, you only mentioned it above specifically while turning.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:29 PM

No, it happened for the first time after the turn, but both times after it was driving straight down the road and it just started flashing.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 01-11-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:55 PM

Sounds like it may be a battery or battery connection problem. Make sure both posts are clean and secure. Airbag light will start flashing if battery voltage drops. I had this happen recently when I accidently shorted the positive post to ground momentarily.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nopike
Sounds like it may be a battery or battery connection problem. Make sure both posts are clean and secure. Airbag light will start flashing if battery voltage drops. I had this happen recently when I accidently shorted the positive post to ground momentarily.
Thanks man, I'd never heared of the Air bag light flashing because of a low voltage situation, but it's possible maybe thats all it was. It's the fact that the battery light never came on, and the defrost switch wigging out that have me most concerned.
Anyways I'm taking it into the shop this morning to be safe, I'll post back what they find.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:00 PM

UPDATE: Apparently the alternator went out of the car.... I have to wait until Saturday to take it to the shop that put the alternator in, it's under warranty.
this is the 3rd time in 2 years. There is something wrong here.

This is the first time that the battery light and brake light didnt come on, also the first time the Air bag light was activated.

This all seems very odd to me. I'll post back when I find out more.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Did replacing the alternator fix the problem? I am having the exact same issue. Twice in two weeks the air bag light starts flashing, and then the car dies and wont start. The starter wont even click. But wait an hr or two and it cranks right back up. The battery was low after each event - but AutoZone checked the alternator and said it was fine??

How did yours turn out?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mrskin66
Did replacing the alternator fix the problem? I am having the exact same issue. Twice in two weeks the air bag light starts flashing, and then the car dies and wont start. The starter wont even click. But wait an hr or two and it cranks right back up. The battery was low after each event - but AutoZone checked the alternator and said it was fine??

How did yours turn out?
I know you didn't notice that this thread is almost 4 years old, so don't expect an answer to your Q. However, we applaud you for actually searching the forum about your problem.

I'm not sure I really trust any of the parts places when they "test" components. However, there is some reason your alternator is not charging your battery. Assuming for the moment that AutoZone is correct and that your altenator is working, you need to pull all the connections on the battery and alternator and clean them with electrical contact cleaner and abrasive. Also, pull the big grounds off where the negative battery wires conect to the frame and engine and clean them up. Do the same for the big wires to the starter. Finally, inspect the big wires at the battery to make sure that they have not corroded down inside the insulation in the first couple of inches. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:48 AM

Tuner's still around, so I would venture to guess he will see and respond
Old 12-13-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
Tuner's still around, so I would venture to guess he will see and respond
This guy linked me to this, I`m not subscribed so I`d never have seen it. So thank him, will you!

YES, a new alternator fixed my problem.

As `NoPike`pointed out years ago in this thread, low voltage will cause a `fault`in the air-bag circuit which will trigger the light.

Sometimes the Battery & brake light come on when the regulator is faulty in the alternator and or it`s not charging.

Sometimes though, they dont come on. If the regulator fails a certain way it wont trigger the battery light. This is what happened to me.

Your problem is probably a bad alternator or connection.