4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Reverse Lamp switch in trans, help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 09:13 PM

Reverse Lamp switch in trans, help!

Ok, through rebuilding process, this little switch has been misplaced, i had it on the shaft but lost it throughout reinstallation and what not. Soo, i need to figure out where, if anywhere, i can pick it up. It is the Movable plate assembly, basically just a little switch that rocks back and forth on a ball bearing.

If anyone can help me out id greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Willing to learn

Perhaps someone has a used one they could send you. It comes as a set along with the electrical portion when purchased at the dealer. But the little part you're needing is usually OK and doesn't need replacing, so maybe you can get lucky. If not, just buy the whole thing, you will probably need it soon anyhow.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:27 AM

i dont see why i would need the whole thing sometime soon when it worked just fine before...im selling the car and need to fix this so that its one less thing that is wrong with the car. i think i will get in touch with the dealer and see if they can help me out at all, otherwise ill post something in the wanted forum
Old 11-17-2008, 08:13 AM

The part is actually a vital part. If the ECU does not sense voltage across that circuit, it will throw you a part/neutral code. So basically a cel light will be on.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I think I may have 'lost' the 'Movable Plate Assembly'.

I just did a clutch, but now I get this code and I'm not sure where or what that 'Movable Plate Assembly' lives. Is it the white piece below?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=935405

Is it inside the trans behind where the R/N switch goes?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 06-07-2011, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I think I may have 'lost' the 'Movable Plate Assembly'.

I just did a clutch, but now I get this code and I'm not sure where or what that 'Movable Plate Assembly' lives. Is it the white piece below?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=935405

Is it inside the trans behind where the R/N switch goes?

Thanks,
Alex
Yes you are right its the little white part and it goes inside the transmission followed by the big black thing (switch) . Are you sure you didn't drop it in the tranny? Most likely it came off while you were draining the gear oil. I would first check the catch can where you drained you fluid. Its probably in there. It happened to me last time.

Last edited by Dbird; 06-07-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:42 PM

Oh crap. No, I'm not sure it didn't fall inside the tranny. I doubt it would have fit down the drain of my oil catch pan.

So, once I re-dump the tranny fluid and peek in the hole, it would be staring me in the face? I did glance in the hole where the R/N switch goes, but all I noticed was gears. Nothing white colored.

I'm guessing this could be causing my random times I can't get into certain gears.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:52 PM

Can anyone point me to instructions on installing one of these?

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2011, 02:03 AM

Oh crap. No, I'm not sure it didn't fall inside the tranny. I doubt it would have fit down the drain of my oil catch pan.

So, once I re-dump the tranny fluid and peek in the hole, it would be staring me in the face? I did glance in the hole where the R/N switch goes, but all I noticed was gears. Nothing white colored.

I'm guessing this could be causing my random times I can't get into certain gears.
If its not in the tranny, and not in the oil catch pan, then you might have lost it my friend. Since you said you were rebuilding the tyranny i'd look around and see if i can still find it. Chances are its somewhere on the ground. You could either find someone who has an extra one or just buy the whole thing from the dealer like I had to do. Cost me bout $35. If you want i could look around my garage, I think I probably still have an extra one left.

Can anyone point me to instructions on installing one of these?

Thanks!
Its pretty easy. Just some apply grease on the mating surface of the white plastic piece so as to hold it. Apply some oil or gear oil on the side if the R/N switch to lubricate or make it easy for it to slide smoothly. Insert the R/N switch in the hole by gently pushing it, then use a 10mm socket to bolt it.

Last edited by Dbird; 06-08-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dbird
If its not in the tranny, and not in the oil catch pan, then you might have lost it my friend. Since you said you were rebuilding the tyranny i'd look around and see if i can still find it. Chances are its somewhere on the ground. You could either find someone who has an extra one or just buy the whole thing from the dealer like I had to do. Cost me bout $35. If you want i could look around my garage, I think I probably still have an extra one left.
I didn't rebuild, I only replaced the clutch. So, I'm betting it fell back inside the tranny during the removal process or few attempts to reinstall the tranny.

Its pretty easy. Just some apply grease on the mating surface of the white plastic piece so as to hold it. Apply some oil or gear oil on the side if the R/N switch to lubricate or make it easy for it to slide smoothly. Insert the R/N switch in the hole by gently pushing it, then use a 10mm socket to bolt it.
The sensor is easy, but the white rocker switch piece looks like it has two pegs/fingers that 'plug' into something. You just use some thick grease to keep it in place?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:16 AM

I can't believe my FSM nor Haynes manual didn't warn me this could happen.

I can only imagine what's been happening as the rocker switch bounces/floats around inside for the past few days.

Last edited by IceY2K1; 06-08-2011 at 07:19 AM.