4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

OBX Racing Headers 95-99 Nissan Maxima 3.0L V6

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Maxima Owner

yea...but then i have to take 2 hrs to fish in threads that might have want i am looking for....when this thread was already started by someone else...
Old 01-02-2006, 01:36 PM

That's exactly what you will do if you don't donate. That is your perrogative. I didn't donate either. So for me to help myself, I fish thru the 4th gen and all-motor forums to get my answers. Convenience has its price. But I'm just a cheap skate at times so I do what I gotta do to help myself. You should try that for yourself as well because since the time I joined this forum, I have never seen anyone get spoon-fed in here. But if you have the search capability and you are still too lazy to help yourself, then you have other issues need addressing. Again, I have never seen anyone get spoon-fed in here...yet.

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
yea...but then i have to take 2 hrs to fish in threads that might have want i am looking for....when this thread was already started by someone else...
Old 01-02-2006, 01:39 PM
dot dot dot ...

But he has doanted...

Anyhoo,

Search is still > *
Old 01-02-2006, 02:37 PM

That is why I wrote this at the end of the post:
__________________________________________________ ________________
But if you have the search capability and you are still too lazy to help yourself, then you have other issues need addressing. Again, I have never seen anyone get spoon-fed in here...yet.
__________________________________________________ ________________

You must have some kind of selective reading condition . Oh and it is DONATED, no doanted!

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
But he has doanted...

Anyhoo,

Search is still > *
Old 01-02-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

if you knew anything about exhaust flow you would have never even given 2 seconds of thought into buying obx after seeing the product.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I second that. That y-pipe section is a huge POS.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Maxima Owner

whoa whoa whoa....stop all the f.ucking hate.....the whole purpose a forum is to ask questions.....i didnt even start teh thread....i simply asked a few questions to ask opinions.....i get it that they both suck so i wont buy them
Old 01-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

whoa whoa whoa....stop all the f.ucking hate.....the whole purpose a forum is to ask questions.....i didnt even start teh thread....i simply asked a few questions to ask opinions.....i get it that they both suck so i wont buy them
I'm not hating on you. I'm hating on the POS OBX design.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by 4x4Max
I think all you need to do to install these is trim one of your motor mounts.
You're right, that does sound minor. But, just to point this out, trimming a structural member in the car still somehow doesn't really sit right with a lot of people...

is the 500 dollar diffference between cattmans and obx on ebay really worth it .....i will trim a motor mount if i can save 500 bux
The Cattman headers are very well made equal-length headers.
The Hotshot headers are not quite equal-length, but they're a decent design.
The Stone Mountain Racing headers are not equal-length and not as well made as the above headers, but at least the bends and merges are fairly smooth.
The OBX headers on eBay have that HORRIBLE merge in the collector that will eat a LOT of power.

If your car is otherwise stock (or close to it), then there won't be much of a difference among those headers. If you have a lot of mods, then the headers further up that list will make much more power than the ones further down.

If all you want to do is go around telling people you have headers, then yes, trim that engine mount and save that $500. If you want real power, and you're going to be doing a lot of other mods as well, that will be $500 well spent. And if you just want to make more power without spending a lot of money, just get a good Y-pipe and don't bother with headers.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Maxima Owner

thanx.....i am only going to get a y-pipe....if i decide to keep the car i might invest in headers down the road....good ones like hotshot or cattman......ill will invest in other power mods after the y-pipe
Old 01-02-2006, 08:07 PM

Guess I'll check another forum....maybe they wont
Old 01-03-2006, 01:25 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by d00df00d
The Cattman headers are very well made equal-length headers.
The Hotshot headers are not quite equal-length, but they're a decent design.
The Stone Mountain Racing headers are not equal-length and not as well made as the above headers, but at least the bends and merges are fairly smooth.
The OBX headers on eBay have that HORRIBLE merge in the collector that will eat a LOT of power.

If your car is otherwise stock (or close to it), then there won't be much of a difference among those headers. If you have a lot of mods, then the headers further up that list will make much more power than the ones further down.
d00d, That is an excellent summary....

A question for you, does Hotshot make 4thGen headers today? If so, I must have missed them on their web site. I think at least one 4th Gen w/3.5 runs them ?????
Old 01-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Maxima Owner

i think they said the 3.5 liter headers work just need to modify the y-pipe at the end a little bit
Old 01-03-2006, 02:04 PM

^^ Pretty much.

I should point out though... If you don't already have a full exhaust -- which you would need to take advantage of the headers anyway -- a good option would be to buy a high-flow cat, resonator, and muffler (or whichever of the three you feel like you need ), and just have an exhaust shop fill in the rest of the piping. Should be no more expensive than a full exhaust from a manufacturer (actually probably cheaper).
Old 01-03-2006, 05:13 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by d00df00d
I should point out though... If you don't already have a full exhaust -- which you would need to take advantage of the headers anyway

I still haven't seen any convincing dynos and still regret getting any other exhaust other than a y-pipe and/or headers.

Hence my 03 still has its stock cat-back.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

high flow cats fall apart, i know from experiance.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:19 PM

Well, you saw good gains with your headers because they eliminated pre-cats. On 4th gens, though, they don't (the Y-pipe does). That's is why most people don't see much more power with full headers than they do with just a y-pipe unless they have a lot of other mods.

That's what I was talking about: taking full advantage of headers in a 4th gen compared to just getting a Y-pipe.

Also, I should reiterate the "lots of other mods" part... i.e. a full exhaust isn't the only thing you need to take advantage of full headers on a 4th gen.
Old 10-28-2023, 12:16 AM

if you don't know, don't say anything.

Originally Posted by JSutter
2 words: useless junk
if you don't know, don't say anything. i own these headers and they are sick! i have my third 4th gen maxima and ive done most work myself. Converted from automatic to manual 5 spd stage 1 racing clutch, long tube, mandrel bent obx headers, heat wrap, weapon r short ram air intake, megan racing 17 or 18 ( i forget) adjustable coul overs, cat back, interior swap from leather to gray cloth(comfort and cooler than black leather in the summer sun), power stop brakes, 99.9% rust free in Massachusetts! so yea, for the sake of not misleading people with troll type commentary, please stay out of it, and, dont say anything, if you dont know. your hollow comments should be romoved by the mediator. people come here for solutions and to share knowledge. your input was nothing remotely close to any of that. im sure you know something, but its not this.

Old 10-28-2023, 12:21 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by Dezmon
if you don't know, don't say anything. i own these headers and they are sick! i have my third 4th gen maxima and ive done most work myself. Converted from automatic to manual 5 spd stage 1 racing clutch, long tube, mandrel bent obx headers, heat wrap, weapon r short ram air intake, megan racing 17 or 18 ( i forget) adjustable coul overs, cat back, interior swap from leather to gray cloth(comfort and cooler than black leather in the summer sun), power stop brakes, 99.9% rust free in Massachusetts! so yea, for the sake of not misleading people with troll type commentary, please stay out of it, and, dont say anything, if you dont know. your hollow comments should be romoved by the mediator. people come here for solutions and to share knowledge. your input was nothing remotely close to any of that. im sure you know something, but its not this.

Trolling LOL what? This thread is from 2006. OBX has made many different versions, some really were absolute garbage. You might have the good design.
Old 10-28-2023, 02:00 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by Dezmon
i own these headers and they are sick!
I just want to see the chick in your camera roll
Old 11-04-2023, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
I just want to see the chick in your camera roll