4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Yet another alignmnet question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yet another alignmnet question

I guess I'm sorta looking for a recommendation.

I got 4 new tires (Toyo Proxes 4's) in 235/40/18 and had the shop that installed them do an alignment. For reference, I'm dropped on maxspeed springs and agx shocks. After the alignment ($80), the tech said that the camber was off and there was nothing he could do. Stats (after alignment):

Camber L 0.20 R -1.58
Toe L 0.03 R 0.03

I read some of the other alignment threads, and I see that people have recommended using the play in the strut bolts to push or pull the top of the rotor to get a little bit of camber adjustment. However, I also understand that after you do this, you have to get it realigned because the toe needs to be readjusted.

My problem is this - I told the shop about this issue with the strut bolts and they said they won't do it like that because it's "jury rigging it." Furthermore, they said that they won't realign my car for free unless I buy a camber kit (not necessarily from them) because they don't "work that way" and that getting a camber kit is "the right way to do it."

I think the guy is just being a universal jerk, and it seems like buying a camber kit is unnecessary, but I'm not sure what else to do. Is it going to be easier in the long run to just get a camber kit? Does anyone have any recommendations as to which one to get?

Thanks - had to vent
Old 07-02-2005, 12:05 PM
Always sunny in philly

if you went to a national chain store, they will find ways to screw you. Try to get a 2nd opinion at a local alignment shop if this is the case.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:17 PM

It's a local place... A chain, but only locally.

I guess I'm resigned to getting camber bolts, they don't seem that expensive anyway. Does anyone know a good place to get them? Are they suspension and/or car specific?
Old 07-02-2005, 02:00 PM

F*ck that. Eibach sells those bolst as a camber adjustment kit. Tell them people to blow you
Old 07-27-2005, 07:56 AM

An update on all this BS. (Begin RANTING) I bought the Eibach camber bolts and took the car back down to the shop. Dropped it off late last night because I had a meeting to go to this morning.

Woke up this morning to a phone call from their jerk alignment guy saying that they would re-align the car for free, and that they would install the camber bolts. But "oh, by the way, camber bolts on this type of car are hard to install so that will be $208. We'll give you a courtesy call when your car is done, thanks, bye."

I'm like WTF - HOW THE &(#^R@*&^!#*$@ can you possibly want to charge me $208 to install a god damn strut bolt. How is that "hard"? This messed up part is that I can't do anything about this because I'm going on a long road trip day after tomarrow and need this thing fixed and I don't have time to replace the bolt myself.

I just got ripped off big time and there's not much I feel I can do about it

The weird thing is that other than this alignment guy, the shop has been really nice. I got a screw in one of my brand new tires a couple days after I bought it. They would have repaired it for free but the screw tore up the sidewall and so they replaced the tire for free. Also, one of their reps went out to pick up my mom when the tire was replaced and stuff. But this alignment guy is another story. I feel so defeated
Old 07-27-2005, 08:34 AM

Atleast its fixed for you long distance trip and everything is in spec. Its a shame you had to get screwed out of $208. You really could have said dont do anything went to get your car, and in the parking lot just jack up the car, take out old bots and put in new, and save $208 but I understand the predicament.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:23 PM

My alighnment was off and i had to get a camber bolt for one side. Got charged $20 for the bolt and $20 for labor.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:09 PM

Soo... yet another update:

I got the camber bolts from Eibach and I have KYB AGX shocks. The shop calls me up around 11am this morning and says "we can't put these bolts on your shocks - they are not compatible somehow" and also something about these shocks not being compatible with any kind of camber bolt they are aware of, so they just gave the car back to me.

At this point, I am definitely just writing off what I've lost to them and will go somewhere else, but I'd like to find out what the deal is with the camber bolts.

Old 07-28-2005, 04:15 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Find a mechanic or front end shop that knows what their doing. Putting a simple camber bolt in should take no more then 5 minutes and there should be no issue with your AGX's not being able to take them.

On the other hand, your camber values being off that much tells me there is something else wrong with your front end. Either you have a slightly bent control arm or your sub-frame is slightly shifted causing the L to R differance.