4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Driver side CV install

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 03:48 PM

Driver side CV install

Anyone have good tips on getting the driver side cv shaft all the way in? (locking that circularclip in place). I thought I had it all the way in since the weekend, till 2 days ago when all the oil started streaming(like a slow faucet) out the bottom of the inner joint. (had tranny out for a diff bearings job)

And it looked as if the shaft moved outward a bit, so I know it wasnt fully inserted. How do you guys get that circular clip to lock in place?

If I push/jam on the axle any harder the car will fall off the jackstands.

Passenger side seems fully inserted.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIN
Anyone have good tips on getting the driver side cv shaft all the way in? (locking that circularclip in place). I thought I had it all the way in since the weekend, till 2 days ago when all the oil started streaming(like a slow faucet) out the bottom of the inner joint. (had tranny out for a diff bearings job)

And it looked as if the shaft moved outward a bit, so I know it wasnt fully inserted. How do you guys get that circular clip to lock in place?

1)when i replaced my drivers side boot i reincerted the axel with a spot of grease on the circular clip to keep it centered (for easy insertion).

2)it shouldnt be that difficult to insert it.

3)if your car is about to fall off the jackstands no matter what you are doing to it--- it is NOT properly (safely) jacked up! please prop it up in a fail safe manner, at least put your tire/rim under the car so if it does fall it will not crush you, we do not want you to be hurt.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If the c clip won't lock into place, open in up a little bit more. Don't open it too wide or the next time you try to remove the axle, the clip may break.

Originally Posted by MAXIN