3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Tino's 1989 Nissan Maxima(Post, and Updates)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 02:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Tino's 1989 Nissan Maxima(Post, and Updates)

So I'm posting this thread as just a post on what I have done to my 89. (also introduction)

So I have purchased a 1989 Nissan Maxima from FB for about $750. When I first purchased the car it was in great engine state, started and idled great. Had around 99500ish miles on it at time of purchase now 99684.

Now I have driven the car home about 55-70miles away from buy area, during that drive it was in rough suspension state like the two front wheels where in bad shape, metal from rubber showing (did not see at the time of purchase but made it home). Now once I was home it was time to due the maintenance. Lifted the car on all four jack stands removed the wheels and seen the condition of the tires, brakes, and suspension.
1. Tires replaced
2. New Lower control arms
3. New Inner/Outer Tie rods
4. Somewhat new Struts (Used struts from my 4th Gen Maxima)
5. New front Calipers, W/ Brake Pads
6. New Axles, W/ Transmission Axle seals
7. New Wheel Seals
8. Replace broken wheel studs front and rear
9. Probably something I'm missing for suspension lol
Now for the engine bay! Yay lol
1. New Timing belt
2. New Radiator
3. New Coolant Housing W/ New thermostat
4. New water pump
5. Six new eBay fuel injectors (2 of 6 old where working)
6. New Timing sprocket W/ New front and rear plates
7. New Motor Seal and Cam Seals
8. New Valve cover and manifold gaskets
9. New steering hoses
10. New vacuum lines
11. New fuel lines W/ feed and return filters (even new fuel line on the fuel rail
12. New Starter
13. Replaced Air intake with cold intake kit
14. Probably more I'm forgetting
Now for the interior!
1. JVC radio
2. New driver and passenger window motor
3. Replace driver window and lock unit
4. Replace Instrument Cluster screw washers. And put blue LEDs for cluster lighting
5. Rebuilt the fuel sending unit ( wish there was 3rd party replacements)
6. Removed rearview mirror glass and strapped wider mirror to housing.
7. Probably more I'm forgetting also need new speakers only passenger side works.

This car has been a journey to repair not hassle but some repairs have been a PITA lol. But for a car that I have been wanting for some time it was and still fun to work on. Since Im born in 1989, and had a 98 Nissan Maxima (which I'm sad it was in a accident) dang 18th Wheeler! The 98 was fun to drive and work on too. That's when I told my self I'm getting a 89 and going to take care of it and even when the motor goes I'll probably do a EV conversion later (like 5 years later lol).

Sorry for the long read, but if you read thank you!

Also a link to my video of the car running on YouTube.
Old 04-20-2024, 07:03 PM

that's pretty low miles for the car of it's age, is the odd working? you're a long way on getting it road worthy such as bushing and strut mounts cuz of rubber dry rots and age
Old 04-20-2024, 08:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
that's pretty low miles for the car of it's age, is the odd working? you're a long way on getting it road worthy such as bushing and strut mounts cuz of rubber dry rots and age
The odometer is indeed working, and as far as struts mounts front is in good shape with swapping with the 4th Gen completed struts kit, and I checked rear shocks there in great shape for the age will replace later. I also fixed the missing bushing for the shift cable under the car with using a cut to size premium fuel hose fit was a little tight and snug 😁. Driving it 20 miles to work and back for a week been great.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by vonkas
Good to see someone making a serious effort with a Max. I bought mine almost 20 years ago as a daily rider and it has served me well indeed. I am so fond of this car that I keep fixing stuff. The latest was a leaking heater core which I decommisioned and now use the A/C evaporator as my A/C had stopped working years ago. The "new" heater is a blast, truly! This car has super solid essentials but is peppered with some mediocre stuff, most notable the window/door hardware, some interior stuff and some flimbsy (now brittle) plastic parts. Anyway I enjoy driving it a lot, it keeps up easily with modern traffic and is very comfortable and can take a curvy road quite swiftly. And that sweet motor...
Nice! She is good at handling the curves and turns, and The window portion was a challenge with swapping out with three switches until the third one finally worked.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:28 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Is that fuel filter rated for fuel injection?
Have you taken the car off the jacks? I'm wondering how high the front will be with the 4th gen struts.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JSutter
Is that fuel filter rated for fuel injection?
Have you taken the car off the jacks? I'm wondering how high the front will be with the 4th gen struts.
The fuel filter should be rated for fuel injection, however It is a riding mower filter, but I have it on the return fuel line to tank. The one on the Injector side is a K&N filter.

Here's a link to the clear fuel filter: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...=7-02323&pos=0

And off the jack here is a picture of how it looks with the 4th Gen Struts: