3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Geordie's UK 1994 3rd Gen Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
What kind of wheels are you getting? Are you going to lower the car a bit since you are getting new wheels?
Looks like he's ordered lowering springs from what i see a few posts back when he ordered his bonnet lifters aka hood struts not sure what kind of springs he's ordered though. Hopefully he'll post some pics. I wonder if the U.K offers a different brand of lowering spring then what we have access to in U.S and Canada. Those eibach's you had would have been some nice springs for him.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:35 AM

What kind of wheels are you getting? Are you going to lower the car a bit since you are getting new wheels?
Well James, seeing as you asked......these are the new wheels....

Name:  DSC_1950_zps9rpidbqv.jpg
Views: 2665
Size:  3.19 MB

Name:  DSC_1949_zpsaltelirw.jpg
Views: 2662
Size:  3.03 MB

Tyres will go on on Saturday, and I'll get the wheels on straight away.

I've sourced some lowering springs here in the UK. The company is called EuroPerformance, and they are H&R springs...

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...?product=75007

Hopefully they arrive soon.

Changed the oil, plugs and all the filters today. Bonnet lifters (hood struts!) swapped out today as well for the new ones. All belts now here and will be changed soon...

Name:  DSC_1955_zps4ytrcdwf.jpg
Views: 2674
Size:  2.96 MB

KH2 paint delivered today, so I can finish the US grilles...

Name:  DSC_1958_zpsdvpyza4t.jpg
Views: 2658
Size:  2.82 MB

Oh, and I removed the ugly towbar today.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:44 PM

Nice. Looks like your catching the 3rd gen fever lol. Nice to see your going simple and sleek while keeping a nice stock look. Have you thought about or looked into a stillen body kit? Stillen makes a nice kit thats not too ricey looking so speak and looks like its well made for the car unlike some kits i've seen on cars that stick out like a sore thumb. You really seem to be going all out Geordie. Looks good and good to see your keeping the maintenance in mind aswell. Keep up the good work
Old 01-20-2016, 12:51 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Chris, looking at your link, I see some issues with their listing for those springs.

A lot of sellers/vendors over the years have mistakenly made the assumption that the A31 Cefiro = 3rd gen Maxima. It seems like somebody screwed this up on some catalog listing 15 years ago and everybody has been perpetuating the false info ever since.

The A31 Cefiro was RWD and even though the main cabin looks similar to the 3rd gen, the A31 was not a J30 Maxima and did not share the same platform. This is all further complicated by the fact that Infiniti had an actual car named a J30 that was of the same vintage as the 3rd gen maxima.

The A32 Cefiro however DOES = 4th gen Maxima. Because of this, a lot of sellers/vendors may think A31 Cefiro = 3rd gen Maxima. But definitely not the case.

So for the listing to say it fits the J30, and the A32, and the Cefiro yeas 89-95 is contradictory on several levels.

To add to that, I have never heard of H&R making anything for the 3rd gen Maxima, and it seems very unlikely that H&R would randomly make and sell lowering springs only for European spec 3rd gen Maximas.

Sooooooo if were a betting man, I would bet that you are either going to be sent 4th gen Maxima springs, Infinity J30 springs, or actual A31 Cefiro springs - none of which will fit your 3rd gen Maxima, unfortunately.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Nice. Looks like your catching the 3rd gen fever lol. Nice to see your going simple and sleek while keeping a nice stock look. Have you thought about or looked into a stillen body kit? Stillen makes a nice kit thats not too ricey looking so speak and looks like its well made for the car unlike some kits i've seen on cars that stick out like a sore thumb. You really seem to be going all out Geordie. Looks good and good to see your keeping the maintenance in mind aswell. Keep up the good work
Thank you for the positive comments.

I've seen the Stillen kit, and I agree it looks great. It's something I'll look at when I've saved up a bit more, as it's north of $600 iirc.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:56 PM

Chris, looking at your link, I see some issues with their listing for those springs.

A lot of sellers/vendors over the years have mistakenly made the assumption that the A31 Cefiro = 3rd gen Maxima. It seems like somebody screwed this up on some catalog listing 15 years ago and everybody has been perpetuating the false info ever since.

The A31 Cefiro was RWD and even though the main cabin looks similar to the 3rd gen, the A31 was not a J30 Maxima and did not share the same platform. This is all further complicated by the fact that Infiniti had an actual car named a J30 that was of the same vintage as the 3rd gen maxima.

The A32 Cefiro however DOES = 4th gen Maxima. Because of this, a lot of sellers/vendors may think A31 Cefiro = 3rd gen Maxima. But definitely not the case.

So for the listing to say it fits the J30, and the A32, and the Cefiro yeas 89-95 is contradictory on several levels.

To add to that, I have never heard of H&R making anything for the 3rd gen Maxima, and it seems very unlikely that H&R would randomly make and sell lowering springs only for European spec 3rd gen Maximas.

Sooooooo if were a betting man, I would bet that you are either going to be sent 4th gen Maxima springs, Infinity J30 springs, or actual A31 Cefiro springs - none of which will fit your 3rd gen Maxima, unfortunately.
Well James, if that's the case, so be it. I'll be able to get my money back if they aren't as described. I'll just see what comes when they come. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Geordie
Well James, if that's the case, so be it. I'll be able to get my money back if they aren't as described. I'll just see what comes when they come. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
James is right Geordie. You may even just want to contact the seller to confirm to save the headache of a possible return. B&G still make 3rd gen springs but i believe they are a 2" drop front and back. Eibach were the best option but unfortunately they stopped making them for 3rd gens in 08 but if your lucky enough there may be someone who's still got a set collecting dust on a shelf somewhere.

Last edited by ac max 92; 01-20-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:51 PM

Your maxima looks great, I need to start visiting again to catch the updates.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by iwa2008
Your maxima looks great, I need to start visiting again to catch the updates.
Thank you.

So, today I got to realise I needed some spigot rings and new nuts for the new wheels. The original nuts are looking slightly, erm, crappy....

Name:  DSC_1960_zpswggagcze.jpg
Views: 2601
Size:  2.92 MB

...but once I've sorted things, I reckon they'll look sweet as....

Name:  DSC_1959_zpso9nrcmy1.jpg
Views: 2701
Size:  2.76 MB
Old 01-23-2016, 10:56 AM

First up today, I got the US grille sprayed with the KH2. I'll see tomorrow if it's a good match to the car. Also sprayed the mesh on the badgeless one black....

Name:  DSC_1977_zps7jpfsuqe.jpg
Views: 2625
Size:  3.63 MB

I bought some chrome tuning nuts today, and some 73mm to 66.1mm spigot rings, so that I could get the wheels on. I was originally going to go for shiny black wheel nuts, but I changed that to standard shiny chrome ones to match the polished rim. Thinking three colours on the wheel would be too much. Anyway, they're on, and I think they look great....

Name:  DSC_1975_zpsh8qhivtk.jpg
Views: 2739
Size:  3.75 MB

Name:  DSC_1973_zpshhek6hlf.jpg
Views: 2762
Size:  3.64 MB

Yes, I know they'll look better again after a drop, but I'm loving the improvement over standard. I have some centre caps, and they'll go on next week when the Nissan decals arrive. Tyres will be cleaned and dressed tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:34 AM

Just a pic of the new bonnet lifters (hood struts) doing their thing....

Name:  DSC_1969_zpsh0ybzjmu.jpg
Views: 2685
Size:  2.91 MB
Old 01-23-2016, 12:02 PM

The tyres are the ones I had on the 5 spokers that came with the BMW. I sold those wheels recently, but kept the tyres, and put them on these alloys. They are 50 profile, which I think look ever so slightly too big. When I lower it, I reckon I'll get some 45's, or even 40's, which I think will look a bit better.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:27 PM

A friend of mine photoshopped a bit of lowers on this car. Not too low. Just enough. This is how I want it.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:11 PM

The tyres are the ones I had on the 5 spokers that came with the BMW. I sold those wheels recently, but kept the tyres, and put them on these alloys. They are 50 profile, which I think look ever so slightly too big. When I lower it, I reckon I'll get some 45's, or even 40's, which I think will look a bit better.
I was thinking they look a little fat and was going ask about them when I saw your pics, but you went ahead and answered it
Old 01-24-2016, 11:16 AM

The KH2 that came from that ebay seller proved to be a great match on the US grille, and went on nicely.....

Difficult to see the finish, but you get an idea on this pic...

4DSC decals went on today. The factory ones were only on one side (my OCD couldn't cope with that), and white, but I went for a matching pair, and a more subtle gunmetal grey colour to match the car better....

So, with these improvements, I felt the car was worthy of a few pics....

I know the ride height/tyre combination isn't perfect yet, but it's actually better in the flesh than in the pics. To lower it will also cost me four new tyres, as I know it'll rub once lowered with these on. As much as I'd like it perfect sooner rather than later, funds for modifying aren't limitless, so I'll have to wait for a bit.

My old single din Alpine head unit is going in this week, along with a single din cup holder to fill in the double din space. I need a cup holder!!

Timing belt will be changed in the near future, and I'd like to get the rear windows tinted in the next few weeks.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:37 AM

Great story,pics and nice car, Geordie! You got a great deal for 450 GBP (~$650?? 1 GBP = $1.42) So that's equal to ~ 8 tanks of petrol??!! A tank of gas here in Texas would be ~19 GBP.
I've never seen a Max with headlight wipers, so you must have gotten the loaded up model. I have a 94 GXE base model- no leather, no sunroof, no wipers,standard sound system. Mine has 194,000 miles and still runs great and the interior is almost perfect, but I've done practically all typical repairs and maintenance that is part of owning a hi-mileage maxima. But they are built to last, not like the plastic cars of today. Good luck with her.
Chris H. "oldpuck81"-
Plano, Texas
Old 01-24-2016, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by oldpuck81
Great story,pics and nice car, Geordie! You got a great deal for 450 GBP (~$650?? 1 GBP = $1.42) So that's equal to ~ 8 tanks of petrol??!! A tank of gas here in Texas would be ~19 GBP.
I've never seen a Max with headlight wipers, so you must have gotten the loaded up model. I have a 94 GXE base model- no leather, no sunroof, no wipers,standard sound system. Mine has 194,000 miles and still runs great and the interior is almost perfect, but I've done practically all typical repairs and maintenance that is part of owning a hi-mileage maxima. But they are built to last, not like the plastic cars of today. Good luck with her.
Chris H. "oldpuck81"-
Plano, Texas
Thanks Chris, I appreciate that.

You're right too, approximately 650 of your dollars is all this Max cost me.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:19 PM

Geordie- you STOLE that car! 70,000 miles??!!
Old 01-24-2016, 01:56 PM

This thread is really erotic
Old 01-24-2016, 03:13 PM

car looks awesome man! you need some SE foglights

i need a pair of replacement wiper blades for my headlamp wipers if you think you could find them anywhere

i started going thru some of my maxima parts today ill find that cluster tonight. the white face gauges are really an awesome interior piece but they were only used in north america
Old 01-25-2016, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by DMad8724
car looks awesome man! you need some SE foglights

i need a pair of replacement wiper blades for my headlamp wipers if you think you could find them anywhere

i started going thru some of my maxima parts today ill find that cluster tonight. the white face gauges are really an awesome interior piece but they were only used in north america
I've got some front foglights to fit at some point, just need to decide if I want to go down the Stillen bodykit route. To be honest, I'm really liking the standard bumper look at the minute.

I'll certainly have a look around for the headlamp wiperblades, but there are so few Maximas about over this side of the pond that you will probably come across some faster than me. Is it just the blades, or the arms? If it's just the blades, would maybe some Saab 9000/9-5 ones not fit on perhaps?

I have access to some white dials, so when the 'modding fund' gets a bit healthier, I'll see about them then.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:58 PM

im just looking for replacement rubber blades for the headlights.

we never had headlamp wipers in north america, so im not going to be able to find them anywhere over here.. they're pretty specific i doubt saab ones would fit. it just seems that since a lot of cars have headlamp wipers over there that some place probably sells a lot of headlamp wiper blades no?
Old 01-28-2016, 12:28 PM

Just got to love those tails....

Name:  DSC_2003_zpsitegxyuj.jpg
Views: 2545
Size:  1.73 MB
Old 01-28-2016, 06:57 PM

Look like 3rd gen tail lights lol. Did you put some LED's in?
Old 01-29-2016, 06:12 AM

Look like 3rd gen tail lights lol. Did you put some LED's in?
You guys over there might be used to them, but we're not over here lol. I just think they look great. No led's, but I have put fresh new bulbs in them all, so they're nice and bright.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:43 AM

Yes they are unique. Maybe after all these years of owning one im just so used to seeing them. I dont think theres a whole lot on the road anymore atleast here in Canada. I'll be lucky if i see one maybe every other year. I think im one of the few left in Ontario with one especially in the condition that its in and with any upgrades like mine. Glad to see your enjoying yours. They can get addictive when it comes to restoring or upgrading as im sure with any car that someone is an enthusiast with lol. Thanks to the help of others ive been able to do some unique mods like having heated and power folding mirrors. I know other members have done it but im not sure if theres any others here where i am. This summer i think im going to put in some chrome door sills with blue LED maxima writing on them. Ive had them for awhile but just havent got around to doing the modding/tweeking i need to do to install them. Glad to see your doing such a good job of taking care of yours Geordie. Looks great. Keep up the good work ☺. I especially like the paint. If thats still the original paint its amazing to see its still in phenomenal shape with no fading or clear coat peeling.

Last edited by ac max 92; 01-29-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:17 PM

Still the original paint mate. It really is in fantastic condition, and must have been garaged for a large part of it's life. Once I had clay barred 22 years of the usual cr*p off, I was really pleased to see it's true condition.

I like the sound of your chrome sills.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:41 PM

Hi Geordie, Just curious did your springs come in and if so were they the right fitment? If they didnt work out i noticed James has another set of eibach's up in the classifieds
Old 02-04-2016, 12:26 AM

Hi Geordie, Just curious did your springs come in and if so were they the right fitment? If they didnt work out i noticed James has another set of eibach's up in the classifieds
Long story, still unfinished, about the springs I ordered. Looks like I am sorted with some others though...will update accordingly.

Here's the most recent pics of the Max after another coat of Collinite 915 wax and running its new 215/45/17 rubber.....

Name:  DSC_2011_zpsoom3he5s.jpg
Views: 2672
Size:  3.24 MB
Old 02-04-2016, 02:43 AM

I changed the tyres to lower profile for two reasons. The ones I initially put on the new wheels, 225/50/17, (which I had kept from a previous set of wheels on my 5 Series) were worn unevenly on the rears, so were causing a vibration. Also, I wouldn't have been able to get the car lowered with those on as they were too fat, so although I'm having to live with a bigger arch gap for now, it'll sort itself out when it's lowered.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:17 AM

Much better on the new tires
Old 02-05-2016, 08:53 AM

Much as I loved the look of the original music system, the CD player was fubarred, and the lcd display on the radio was temperamental. I needed a decent head unit in there with wireless Bluetooth to stream the music on my phone, and a cup holder of course (essential), so I fitted my Alpine single din and a useful filler unit underneath.....

Old 02-05-2016, 08:57 AM

For my own benefit, list of things done:

New battery
Initial clay bar and clean
Initial engine bay clean
Modern dealer sticker removed
Cleaned inside of rear window with tyre dressing (doh!)
Leather interior cleaned and fed
Headlamp wipers levelled out
Original manual sourced and purchased
Bonnet lifters replaced
Serviced (oil, plugs and oil, air and fuel filters)
USDM front grille sprayed KH2 and fitted
Meshed front grille also sprayed KH2
USDM front corners fitted
'4DSC' stickers fitted
Towbar removed
New 17" wheels
Tyres (225/50/17 Falkens)
Tyres to replace the ones above (215/45/17 Falkens)

Things still to sort:

Timing belt, tensioner and 3 other belts to change
Needs lowering
Rear windows to tint
Fix/replace the intermittent digital clock
Remote boot release to fix
Spare key to get cut
Deep centre caps to find to clear the hubs
Finish engine bay clean
Replace headlight bulbs with Osram Nightbreaker Unlimiteds
Put a layer of vinyl film over the sunroof to protect the crack in the glass
Occasional sticky throttle pedal to sort (butterfly valve)
Stillen body kit maybe?
Old 02-05-2016, 11:51 PM

What is that box on the firewall that is just left of the windshield (windscreen) wiper motor? The U.S. cars don't have that.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
What is that box on the firewall that is just left of the windshield (windscreen) wiper motor? The U.S. cars don't have that.
It's the factory alarm siren.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:58 AM

Things still to sort:

Remote boot release to fix
there is a remote release lock out feature that works with the valet key
so the thiefing valet or mechanic cant look in the trunk

on us cars its built into the latch on the car body side i think
its the metal lever that moves up and down,its inside the square hole

or its the lever that moves side to side on the trunk side latch

might be different for remote trunk openers vs manual one like my 91 has
Old 02-07-2016, 04:07 AM

It's the factory alarm siren.
we can even see the nissan logo on it,i never noticed that before
our U.S. factory alarms use the cars steering wheel operated horn
and the headlamps flash
if your euro version factory alarm has a shock sensor.....
im putting on my tin foil hat
Old 02-07-2016, 05:13 AM

Just when I thought I knew everything about these cars I am learning there is a lockout for the trunk!
Old 02-07-2016, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by maximagician

Great info, thanks. I'll see if I can get a look at this tomorrow.

I took the Maxima to a little local Nissan Primera meet up this morning. The other guys loved it.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by maximagician

Remote trunk openers? I thought all 3rd gens didn't have a keyless remote just the keyless entry key pads on the doors that can open the windows, trunk and doors and when you mention this little trunk lever do mean something that works like a child proof lock would on a door and can only open with the master and not the valet key?

Quick Reply: Geordie's UK 1994 3rd Gen Maxima