3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fuel Injector Seepage

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 07:03 PM

Fuel Injector Seepage

Trying to track down a slight and occasional gas smell and I noticed one injector port looking different than the others. In the pic below you'll see the right one (Cyl 4) is discolored with a oily dirty like residue. The left one (Cyl 2) is clean and is like the remaining ports. However, while the car is running even with the throttle open a bit, I can't see any seepage occurring. I wonder if the injector is not seated properly or there is a slight kink or tear in an O-ring. I replaced the injectors about a year ago and lubed the O-rings with vaseline prior to use, but there may still be something wrong. The paranoid me wants to take the intake manifold off and inspect the injector and replace the O-rings, but the more pragmatic me says it's not much of a leak, if any, and I shouldn't worry about it.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i'm used to associating that color with oil leaks... you sure it's not something coming from the valve cover gasket rather than gasoline?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by redhunter
Trying to track down a slight and occasional gas smell and I noticed one injector port looking different than the others. In the pic below you'll see the right one (Cyl 4) is discolored with a oily dirty like residue. The left one (Cyl 2) is clean and is like the remaining ports. However, while the car is running even with the throttle open a bit, I can't see any seepage occurring. I wonder if the injector is not seated properly or there is a slight kink or tear in an O-ring. I replaced the injectors about a year ago and lubed the O-rings with vaseline prior to use, but there may still be something wrong. The paranoid me wants to take the intake manifold off and inspect the injector and replace the O-rings, but the more pragmatic me says it's not much of a leak, if any, and I shouldn't worry about it.

How does she run? Any hesitation or a miss? Did you check fuel pressure running and immediatley after you key off?
Old 04-20-2013, 04:22 PM

Honestly, if its not impacting drivability or major oil loss I'd just put it on my todo list for the next time I have my manifold off.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
i'm used to associating that color with oil leaks... you sure it's not something coming from the valve cover gasket rather than gasoline?
When I did the injectors last year I also replaced the valve cover gaskets; but I did need to tighten them down recently, so it is possible some oil escaped from the valve covers.

Originally Posted by shiloh51933
How does she run? Any hesitation or a miss?
She runs fine. Come to think of it I haven't noticed a gas smell since adjusted the timing earlier this week—it was advanced to about 27, probably running rich. I just never made that possible connection until now.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:07 PM

Fix it soon cause all it take is 1 spark leak or jump spark from a boot and you have a real good fire!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:09 PM

Clean and dry it with brake cleaner and pour a little bit of talc power around the suspected area. Turn ignition to on with engine off. Observe for a couple minutes. This will check if it's the connection between the fuel rail and injector is the one leaking because fuel pressure is always present behind the injector with ignition on. Nothing? Run the engine and observe. This one checks for the lower O-ring for proper sealing.