3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

who hates their sunvisors? pics!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 06:39 PM

who hates their sunvisors? pics!

I know I do...too hard of a pull on one of them and its bent as hell...get them wet (maybe from the sunroof) and they puff up like a raccoon on the side of the highway...the sunvisors seems to be one of the few areas where Nissan cut corners on the 3G...but I went to the junkyard this weekend and found something you guys might like to know

the last time I went to the yard, about a year ago, I spotted the rear door/window from afar that I couldve sworn was a 3rd Gen...well I was wrong

it turned out to be an Infiniti G20, and after sitting in it for awhile I was taken back by all the similarities it had with the 3rd Gen; automatic shoulder belts, similar looking sunvisors, a lot of little things mainly inside.

Well its taken me this long to acquire a decent pair of the sunvisors out of this model and ive got some comparison pictures. The Infiniti sunvisors have a LIGHTED MIRROR, they use the SAME MOUNTS as the 3rd Gen sunvisors, and the whole thing I believe is molded plastic, and its close to an inch thick! Ive recovered 3rd Gen sunvisors before and I know the internals of those are mainly cardboard/a little plastic/and a wire about like a clotheshanger that runs across the top. These are definately something to pick-up if you find one of these cars at the yard.

On to the pictures, I apologize the headliner is missing but the sunroof is getting replaced on this car within the week. The drivers side visor is the G20 and the passenger is stock 3G tan.

Name:  DSC01095.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  50.4 KB

Name:  DSC01096.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  DSC01097.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  48.1 KB

Name:  DSC01102.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  36.3 KB

Name:  DSC01104.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  47.0 KB

Name:  DSC01105.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  DSC01106.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  49.7 KB

the G20 visors I got came out of a maroon car with a black interior and what looked like a grey headliner...however it is not as dark as the 3G grey, but would probably work fine with either the tan or grey headliners. In these pictures you can see the tan clip that holds the visor straight is tan, while the bar on the mirror is a light grey. I plan on recovering these in the future so I am not worried about a color difference. If you tapped into the sunroof map lights for power and ground you'll have some nicely lit mirrors (bulbs are extremely easy to change, as well) on sunvisors that actually hold their own.

EDIT: the model this came out of I believe the years are 1991-1996, however I have seen sunvisors from a 91 listed on ebay and they looked exactly the same as 3G mirrors so dont get those...stay 93-96 and you should be good

Last edited by DMad8724; 05-22-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by DMad8724
I know I do...too hard of a pull on one of them and its bent as hell...get them wet (maybe from the sunroof) and they puff up like a raccoon on the side of the highway...the sunvisors seems to be one of the few areas where Nissan cut corners on the 3G...but I went to the junkyard this weekend and found something you guys might like to know

the last time I went to the yard, about a year ago, I spotted the rear door/window from afar that I couldve sworn was a 3rd Gen...well I was wrong

it turned out to be an Infiniti G20, and after sitting in it for awhile I was taken back by all the similarities it had with the 3rd Gen; automatic shoulder belts, similar looking sunvisors, a lot of little things mainly inside.

Well its taken me this long to acquire a decent pair of the sunvisors out of this model and ive got some comparison pictures. The Infiniti sunvisors have a LIGHTED MIRROR, they use the SAME MOUNTS as the 3rd Gen sunvisors, and the whole thing I believe is molded plastic, and its close to an inch thick! Ive recovered 3rd Gen sunvisors before and I know the internals of those are mainly cardboard/a little plastic/and a wire about like a clotheshanger that runs across the top. These are definately something to pick-up if you find one of these cars at the yard.

On to the pictures, I apologize the headliner is missing but the sunroof is getting replaced on this car within the week. The drivers side visor is the G20 and the passenger is stock 3G tan.

the G20 visors I got came out of a maroon car with a black interior and what looked like a grey headliner...however it is not as dark as the 3G grey, but would probably work fine with either the tan or grey headliners. In these pictures you can see the tan clip that holds the visor straight is tan, while the bar on the mirror is a light grey. I plan on recovering these in the future so I am not worried about a color difference. If you tapped into the sunroof map lights for power and ground you'll have some nicely lit mirrors (bulbs are extremely easy to change, as well) on sunvisors that actually hold their own.

EDIT: the model this came out of I believe the years are 1991-1996, however I have seen sunvisors from a 91 listed on ebay and they looked exactly the same as 3G mirrors so dont get those...stay 93-96 and you should be good
this is nice to know. I'm gonna replace mine with 5.5 gen visors so I can have home link.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:06 AM

Good eye.

My headliner has been out about a year now, with very good reason.

Stay humble bro
Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 AM

4th gen+ sunvisors have different mounting brackets, I originally wanted some 4th gen mirrors with homelink, but you'd have to drill an extra hole in the roof or just use the 2 screws and the mount is going to be off/hanging...because of the thickness of these visors I think it would be pretty easy to add the homelink buttons as long as you can run the wires...

and another thing, the first time I sat in a G20 the driver visor did not have a mirror, but it had an extra flap of fabric where you could slide papers/cds into. Im guessing there are 3 different kinds of mirrors for this Infiniti model 91-92/93-94 and 95-96...guessing the ones I have are 95-96
Old 05-23-2012, 08:02 AM

It's definately a step up from the factory visors and install looks simply.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:05 PM

a huge step up, especially without having to adjust anything for a different style bracket

these mirrors dont light up until the top of the mirror cover is just past level, so theres no chance of them lighting up when you dont want them to. I wired mine up to the maplight pos+ (orange at sunroof switch) and the brown ground wire that comes from the sunroof assembly (first pic). here are some more pics

Name:  DSC01133.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  DSC01136.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  9.2 KB

found some lighting to show some comparison, they do seem a little bright, especially right in front of your face!

Name:  DSC01138.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  14.3 KB
Old 05-23-2012, 08:59 PM

Cool! But if you don't like your visors take them off and drive for a week without them! I'll guarantee you'll love and miss them by then!!!!!
Old 05-28-2012, 11:00 AM

Name:  92G20.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  27.4 KB

here is a picture of 1992 infiniti g20 sunvisors, as you can see the have the maxima style mirror, but they appear to be the thicker, molded plastic kind I acquired. this car also had automatic shoulder belts, so there would be text (like on the maxima visor) explaining why its neccessary to use the manual lap belt...

Name:  DSC01168.jpg
Size:  75.1 KB

it sure is nice to have a working sunroof. a previous owner sealed the original sunroof glass to the roof of the car! All because the right rear drain hose was plugged. The sunroof shade was also missing. I replaced the entire assembly with one from a 92GXE I got at the yard a couple weeks ago. Just got done putting the headliner back up (by myself, thank you very much) and now you can see how my 95~ visor looks against it.

Name:  DSC01169.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  25.3 KB

Name:  DSC01170.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  24.4 KB

Name:  DSC01171.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  15.1 KB

Name:  DSC01172.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  24.4 KB

it doesnt come as close the to the rearview mirror as the original visors do, overall it sits a little closer to the outside of the car (you can see where it will touch the pillar cover trim)

Name:  DSC01173.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  32.9 KB

Name:  DSC01164.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  72.0 KB
Old 05-28-2012, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by DMad8724

here is a picture of 1992 infiniti g20 sunvisors, as you can see the have the maxima style mirror, but they appear to be the thicker, molded plastic kind I acquired. this car also had automatic shoulder belts, so there would be text (like on the maxima visor) explaining why its neccessary to use the manual lap belt...

it sure is nice to have a working sunroof. a previous owner sealed the original sunroof glass to the roof of the car! All because the right rear drain hose was plugged. The sunroof shade was also missing. I replaced the entire assembly with one from a 92GXE I got at the yard a couple weeks ago. Just got done putting the headliner back up (by myself, thank you very much) and now you can see how my 95~ visor looks against it.

it doesnt come as close the to the rearview mirror as the original visors do, overall it sits a little closer to the outside of the car (you can see where it will touch the pillar cover trim)

Looks Kool. If I get bored or too lazy I'll do this.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:19 PM

I'd love just to HAVE a drivers side sun visor. Mine decided to just snap completely off one day.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by autobotguy
I'd love just to HAVE a drivers side sun visor. Mine decided to just snap completely off one day.
Yours too? Thats why I'm replacing mine.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:18 AM

So it turns out these sunvisors are somewhere around WAY BETTER than I originally thought they were..

I have recovered 2 or 3 3rdgen headliners in the past, and when I was done with that it was always time to recover the sunvisors. Which at first was near impossible; You cant physically take them apart without ruining them. The last time I recovered some I had my grandma sow the pieces together inside out, flipped it rightside out, then slid it over the visor. I then only had to sow the top seam together and this did end up looking alright. However, Really they still looked supercheap (like the stock visors really are). I was hoping that just because of the thickness of these G20 mirrors that they might be easier to recover/end up looking better.

Well a couple weeks ago I had my G20 visor in the car and extended toward the door. I opened the door to get out and my automatic shoulder belt crossed paths with the sunvisor and came to a hault. It took me a little while to get the seatbelt to go back so I could adjust the sunvisor out of its way.

Well when that happened it split the sunvisor open, right down the middle (just on the one corner). I was previously stumped on how to open these visors up, if it was even possible. Well it turns out they will come apart in two perfect halves, which is how the fabric was attached in the first place. Also the horizontal bars/hinge/base of the assembly can be unscrewed. The mirror unscrews from the back and will pop right out. I can say these will be extremely easy to recover! Adding homelink? Won't be a problem. I will also be able to paint the holding bars/hinge since they can get somewhat faded.

Name:  DSC01280.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  53.4 KB

Name:  DSC01281.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  DSC01278.jpg
Size:  62.5 KB

Name:  DSC01279.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  77.2 KB

Last edited by DMad8724; 09-01-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:36 PM

Great! This gives me a new place to mount my home link.